Christmas Origami Book 2015

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Edg

Re: Christmas Origami Book 2015

Post by Edg »

origami_8 wrote:The tree would be awesome.
I'm glad you like the tree! I'm currently working on a diagram of the little version but it's earmarked for another project, it will certainly see the light of day one way or another. For now I have submitted an owl diagram, hopefully I will manage something else before the deadline.
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

Will we be doing as in previous years where someone designs and does hand-drawn diagrams, then someone else creates digital diagrams, and both get a copy?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Sure, you can do that.
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Is it possible to see what models were in the previous years? I'm submitting multiple designs and plan to start from the earliest issues, but if I knew there was a model I liked in a certain year I'd be more inclined to get that one instead.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I never did a picture index and doing it right now with hardly having enough time to do the book at all is impossible.
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Alright, no problem, thanks!
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Another question.

I've always preferred to discover and advance my origami on my own.

As such I noticed that one of my designs is similar to a previous existing design that I had never encountered. They start off the same way, but then the other model continues and make the same shape but with much more effort.

I named my the trigonal bipyramid after chemical bonds, but the other model is a deltahedron, referring to it's shape.

My question is, since my model is an easier version of this design, and I did not have knowledge of the other design before today, can I still submit it as my own?
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Interesting question. I have no say so in this matter, but my opinion is free :-)

There are many valid ways to fold an elephant, owl, box, etc. which are unique. There are some models that are credited variations of other models. Geometric models are so standardized - cubes, etc. that I believe the unique part is the process, rather than the end result ... for a well-crafted model. So my vote, which doesn't count, is that a more efficient process, which hasn't been published, is a valid, original contribution, even with a similar starting point, and probably a similar end result.

The thing to be careful of is to be clear that you have a different path and not a variation of the original path, or more efficient folds of the original steps - for example, there are alternate methods for making color changes or sink results. I know you aren't doing sinks or color changes, but I hope you get my point.
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

The model is seven steps long. The first four are practically identical (with one alteration between mine and the other). The difference is in the method chosen to close the model.

It is more like a variation considering that the model is so simple. But I do think mine is different in that the execution using the folds provided is better.

Edit: I just tried to fold the other version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjV2Edw29I I found an issue with the design when they attempted to tuck the flaps at the end. My version doesn't seem to have this problem.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

My guess is that it counts as independent discovery and since you say you got a different and better locking mechanism, my vote is that it would be okay. What do you think?

On a different note, like I mentioned before I will be away from the Internet for the next couple of days. If you have any questions, you can still post them, maybe someone else knows the answer. If no one answers I will try to reply when I'm back.

If you are curious why I was away for the main part of November, you can have a look here.
My next absence is due to the Italian Origami Convention. Maybe I'll meet some of you there. :D
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

This article may prove relevant.
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Lephantome92 wrote:This article may prove relevant.
Wow, that was a really interesting read. That model is much more specific than a simple geometric figure, but it is entirely possible. I also had a similar experience of origami deja vu on Flickr recently. I finally got around to checking out the people who are following me and noticed one of them designed a music note a few months after I did. They don't take a same approach, but I still find it wild that two people from different parts of the world can create in parallel with one another.

That article also made me see Yoshizawa in a different light. He seems less open and understanding than most origami artists are, and a little bitter to his Western contemporaries. And I feel bad for Cerceda, kinda got blacklisted.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

AxolotlBottle wrote:
Baltorigamist wrote:Would anyone like a specific unpublished CP for one of my models?
I'm not very good at crease patterns, but I think it would be interesting to see your Jerusalem Cricket.
I actually never drew that one up, but I'll see if I can't get something good in by the deadline. My next design will possibly usurp my Mantis Shrimp as far as complexity goes, so I might submit its CP.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
AxolotlBottle
Location: Underneath floating tree bark hiding from the predators

Post by AxolotlBottle »

okay so I have a question before I submit my diagram, In the end, I decided to do diagrams on Inkscape instead of Hand drawn diagrams anyways here is the question Do I submit the model as a PNG or Inkscape's normal file SVG or is there no specific version of the file to send it in as?

-- AxolotlBottle
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

AxolotlBottle wrote:okay so I have a question before I submit my diagram, In the end, I decided to do diagrams on Inkscape instead of Hand drawn diagrams anyways here is the question Do I submit the model as a PNG or Inkscape's normal file SVG or is there no specific version of the file to send it in as?

-- AxolotlBottle
I always use Inkscape for my diagrams. Since the book comes out as a pdf, it's probably best to save it that way.