Great news!! New book by Satoshi Kamiya

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
BrooksHalten

Post by BrooksHalten »

newbpcpfolder wrote:everyone?isn't it copyrighted material?
"Everyone" means the people who requested the translations. Also, they have to have a legal copy of the book to get them, so all I'm doing is telling them what it says. No harm done.
Re
BrooksHalten

Post by BrooksHalten »

ugh... the one trade-off of getting translations done for free. They do it when they feel like it. I hope they get back to me soon!
Re
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

newbpcpfolder wrote:Diagramming that would be the best thing he did in his life, but 'course, it's impossible, there may not even be a sequence for that model.
Whoa now-- don't go making unfounded accusations. EVERY model has a sequence. It just might not have an *easy* one.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

OK..............perhaps he can manage somehow 8) :D
NYCfolder

Post by NYCfolder »

Long time lurker, first time poser. So, I'd like to start by saying "Hello" to everyone. It's great to be here.

BrooksHalten, thanks for your efforts in obtaining a native translation. Hopefully you'll receive it soon!

I have this book as well. I took some pictures of the inside cover (the Ryu Jin supplement) with my phone and used an OCR program I have for work to see if it can recognize the Japanese characters. In fact, it does--and does so surprisingly well! I was able to pass the result through Google translation and got something usable. Like most Asian language machine translations, it can lose meaning at times. But, it's better than nothing. All the captions on the inside cover images yielded information ranging from semi-coherent to crystal clear.

It's finicky, so I'd need to use my flatbed scanner to do text-rich pages. I'm hesitant to do so, however. Apart from the fact that I feel squishing pages flat into a scanner would damage the binding of my wonderful new book, I'm uncertain if I'm allowed to do so legally. If a third party already owns the book, are there any legal or ethical implications in providing them a translation derived from scanning/OCRing the original?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

don't damage your new book. it won't be worth it.

again... i'm positively mystified that people could possibly think--for one instant--that the "secret of the ryu-zin" could possibly be hidden in those three pages. if origami could so easily be taught via word--especially a model so complex as this one--than designers have been wasting their time all these long years with diagrams. it simply cannot be.

for those of you who are hoping that the holy grail is there, only in japanese and a translation will pull away the veil that's prevented you from folding this model, i sincerely hope i am wrong.
BrooksHalten

Post by BrooksHalten »

I know the sole secret to folding the ryujin most likely doesn't lie in the pages; but it probably tells which areas to fold first, reference points, and other misc. tips.

I figure, if I'm paying $40 for the book, I might as well get my money's worth. :lol:
Re
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

except all those hints are likely to be somewhere in the ryu-zin thread, which people were able to figure out with sheer deductive reasoning. there may be the odd thing that isn't, but it's not going to be a hint that makes or breaks you.

now, the situation may be different if the whole book were about nothing but the whole creation process for the ryu-zin, if he were to walk you through the whole thing. but it's not. it's not even close to being that.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

bethnor wrote:don't damage your new book. it won't be worth it.

again... i'm positively mystified that people could possibly think--for one instant--that the "secret of the ryu-zin" could possibly be hidden in those three pages. if origami could so easily be taught via word--especially a model so complex as this one--than designers have been wasting their time all these long years with diagrams. it simply cannot be.

for those of you who are hoping that the holy grail is there, only in japanese and a translation will pull away the veil that's prevented you from folding this model, i sincerely hope i am wrong.
These are the wisest words I've read in along time.
NYCfolder

Post by NYCfolder »

I hate to burst the "everyone that bought this book is after a Ryu-Jin holy grail" bubble, as it seems wildly popular, but I ORCed the Ryu-Jin part simply because the inside cover is the only part that would lay perfectly flat. I purchased this book for a very different reason altogether: to have the legal right to fold a number of models I've been desperate to try.

Completely understandable that it wouldn't be expected, though, given the astounding amount of piracy I've already seen in my limited exposure to the origami scene here in NYC and online. As someone who makes my a good portion of my living designing typefaces, it's disheartening to see CPs, diagrams, and PDFs passed around as freely as my commercial fonts have been. It's enough to make me want to delve no deeper into the field.

Getting back to the issue at hand: after using photos to OCR and translate some of the "Advanced Techniques" section of the book, nearly everything I translated seems to be points I've already learned from Lang's Design Secrets book. A shame, and perhaps not worth the time-consuming effort to translate the entire book, but still worth the price to have legal diagrams nonetheless.
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

no NYC I want to know what he says it might be simple or simpley written, you cannot know what he has to say unless you read it, if you say it´s not anything new that is not in mr lang´s origami secrets, I would still like to read it from him, because if it was to be the same, he would introduce it or play it out in a different manner from mr lang

I want to read it eaven if it is the same article as wikipedia I want to hear it with his signature!
X
BrooksHalten

Post by BrooksHalten »

Hmmmm....ORC...I'll have to give it a shot. With photoshop, I can take pictures, and then stretch it back flat. Easily.
Re
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

BrooksHalten wrote:Hmmmm....ORC...I'll have to give it a shot. With photoshop, I can take pictures, and then stretch it back flat. Easily.
That's OCR, not ORC. Optical Character Recognition, if I'm not mistaken. And getting an OCR program that reads Japanese will not be cheap.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

nice. OCR can read characters from scans?
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

That's OCR, not ORC. Optical Character Recognition, if I'm not mistaken. And getting an OCR program that reads Japanese will not be cheap.
Adobe Acrobat can do it natively, along with Russian, Chinese, and a bunch of other languages. If the scan is of good resolution, the results are great (though never perfect).