Great news!! New book by Satoshi Kamiya

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
cyitoh

Post by cyitoh »

The above reply is right, English is used to make simple stuff stand out more and clearly divide up the sections. I see this from time to time in newspapers as well. Japan's obviously heavily influenced by Western culture, and it's "cool" to use other languages. French has also been increasing popular on stationary products (I'm sure most of you guys who have been to Japanese stationary stores have noticed).
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

reposting my request.... If you can read Japanese (and type fairly quickly) there are some folks who have bought the book, who would greatly appreciate English translation.

To minimize sending info to people who don't have the book, you could handle it via private messages, asking for specific descriptions understood only by folks who have the book.

BTW, for people who may have wondered.... I don't own this book and don't expect to benefit from the translation.... (But I always appreciate knowing when we have an additional source of help or information.)

- Hank Simon
cyitoh

Post by cyitoh »

Sorry, I'm too busy to be translating. :(
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

too bat he didnt english
merman

Post by merman »

So how many pages are dedicated to ryu-zin? And can you make any sense of the pictures alone?
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

merman wrote:So how many pages are dedicated to ryu-zin? And can you make any sense of the pictures alone?
There's a fold-out which shows the crease pattern. It's a 3-page spread, has some close-ups of 3 sections and 8 photos of the CP being folded (not much use really).

Then there are 3 pages dedicated to Ryujin.
There are some diagrams for folding the scales, and a few pictures showing which parts of the CP become the different parts of the head (but no diagrams for shaping).

The first page is mostly text, though, so if you don't read Japanese, it's basically 2 pages.
merman

Post by merman »

So would you recommend it?

I already have the dog designs and the beetle, so I should only get it for the Ryu-Zin guide, the Crane and the violinist...
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

merman wrote:So would you recommend it?

I already have the dog designs and the beetle, so I should only get it for the Ryu-Zin guide, the Crane and the violinist...
I recommend it only if you want to have the official CP. Or if you can read Japanese.

If you can't read Japanese, and you're not going to fold the Ryujin, I wouldn't get it. Unless you have the money to spare...

It depends on how much you want the crane and violinist. It's probably a lot of money for just those two models. I know they're also available in other books, too, so you might look into buying those instead, if you can.

It's certainly not worth buying just for the 3 pages on ryujin. In my opinion.
merman

Post by merman »

Well I can buythe Tanteidan issues but there is usually just one Kamiya design in there each year....

I only really want to have the Crane...

how big are the other CP's? Gilad states these are really tiny...
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

merman wrote:Well I can buythe Tanteidan issues but there is usually just one Kamiya design in there each year....

I only really want to have the Crane...

how big are the other CP's? Gilad states these are really tiny...
To be completely honest, I barely even noticed the crease patterns. They're in the beginning of the book, in what is more of a display of complex works, rather than actual displays of CPs. They're not very easy to decipher, especially the more complex ones, so I wouldn't really consider them as a reason for buying the book.
I'd liken them to the CPs seen beside displays at conventions. You can make out the overall structure of them, but using them to fold the model doesn't seem to be the goal.

As Gilad says, it's more of a book on design.

The crane is also in Tanteidan Magazine 110. I know you can't buy single issues from JOAS, but buying a back issue of volume 19 costs €50, and you get 6 magazines with it. The book costs €36.50
So if you're only interested in the book for that one model, you might want to look at the magazines as an alternative. Also note that you get decent sized crease patterns, too, in the magazines.
BrooksHalten

Post by BrooksHalten »

TRANSLATIONS ARE COMPLETE!!!!

In just a bit, I'll be sending out the translations to all the people that emailed me. The translations offer good details, instructions, and tips for getting accurate folds. It also shows the best way to get the basic grid. It's a big help for folding the cp!

To all the people who waited for these, I have to say thank you for being patient!
Re
Kijjakarn

Post by Kijjakarn »

Thank you for the translations, BrooksHalten! Very good explanation indeed!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

on a somewhat unrelated note, origami usa now has the book for sale as well, too.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

@Brooks - Thanks for the translation. We appreciate your persistence.

Now that you've sent the full translation to people that have the book, would you - or someone who has the translation - provide some brief summary or overview of the interesting information in the text, beyond what people have already written.

If there is additional information in the text, that may help other people decide whether or not to buy the book.

Thanks,
Hank Simon
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

I might buy this book once i save up. But i have 2 questions
1. @BrooksHalten if i buy the book and i send you a picture mayi still get the translations or was it a one time thing?
2. Are there any other cp's or just the ones of the diagramed things?
thanks in advance.