Great news!! New book by Satoshi Kamiya

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

Just got my copy in today. I may be flamed for this, but I'm gonna go ahead and let anyone know that is wanting to buy this for the "photo diagram" of ryu zin... you're gonna be disappointed. Other than giving you a legal CP, all I can really glean from the 3 (yes you read that right THREE) pages dedicated to this model, it only shows the isolated parts of the cp and gives land marks from the finished model (ie where the different parts of the face are on the cp). It is not a photo diagram (though there are pics on the inside flaps of Kamiya folding the model it doesn't constitute photo diagrams). It does show how to do the scales and I think perhaps you can get a clearer idea of individual sections and how to form a strategy to tackle them, but no photo diagrams. I mainly bought the book for the violinist model since I can't find anyone willing to part with the Special Edition diagrams so I'm not disappointed and it still seems like a neat book (begging to be translated).
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

yeah, that violinist can just be folded from cp, it's easy, it's box-pleated too........
and Jared says that that book is awesome!
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

its interesting, not awesome, but that is my opinion. the passion origami books have been far more bang for your buck and closer to what i consider "awesome" not saying the book isn't good, but for me its just ok. and by the way, saying that the violinist can be folded from the cp and that its easy is a little arrogant. yeah it CAN be folded by cp, but it is no way near EASY for the average folder. i might as well tell you that the ryu zin can be folded from cp too. a little help (via diagrams) for most people is generally appreciated.
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

Judging by your flickr account newbpcpfolder...well why don't you post a picture on here?
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Jody, the book costs about $20. It's the shipping from Japan that kills! And how can you compare this book to Passion Origami books? You can compare this to Michael LaFosse's books. The diagrams here are amazing. LaFosse's, not so much. On the other hand, all the technique stuff is kind of hard to read, so LaFosse wins in that area.

The Tanteidan books are some of the most bang-for-your-buck.
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

Hey, like I said, I'm not really disappointed with the book at all. For me, the violinist diagrams alone are truly worth it. I'm just not impressed enough with it to call it amazing or incredible or awesome, thats all. I do wish it was easily translated because I think some of the written word would easily make the book much more valuable to me and others out there. I realize the comparison to the Passion origami books isn't exactly fair, but it was what popped into my head at the moment :)
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Possible copyright issue ... those easily inflamed, please close your eyes.

There are a few people on this topic who have suggested that they have friends or relatives who will translate the text for them.

At this time, a few people have said that they've purchased the book, so a little PM traffic among these existing folks might support the community.

Without the graphics in the book, the few tag-alongs that sneak by will be minor compared to the benefit that others may derive.

- Hank Simon
(Unfortunately, I am not one of the participants...)
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

Unfortunately this book is a big, non-translated false advertisement. Practically no use for the Ryuzin material if you are not japanese.

caveat emptor
BrooksHalten

Post by BrooksHalten »

Still looking for a translator, I'm not giving up! Some possible leads I heard of (that whole: my friends brother mothers aunt sisters coworkers son knows a kid that knows japanese)
Re
andssl

Post by andssl »

The book is not a false advertisement. The people here and the sites are very clear about what is the book. The false advertisement is to expect from the book what is not its intent. It is reasonable that the people hope for a "works of Satoshi Kamiya vol 2", but the aim is diverse from this.

Now, I will speculate about business, not origami, ok? Have you already perceived that origami market is full of books to beginner folders? Have you perceived that the editor of the book is not Origami House, but Soshimu? A book with several diagrams is very expensive and if the editor does not sell it well, the plans have to change. How about experiment? How about to sell a book cheaper and to experiment the acepptance of a complex book in a larger audience? If it is ok, I can have other books, more publications.

I believe that the business reasons explain the contents of the book, but throught it we have some advices of new books.
merman

Post by merman »

So are these 2 of the 3 pages dedicated to Ryujin 3.5 or is this inside the cover?

So what else is there on Ryujin and how detailed is the information on those 3 pages???

newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

that is the preview of page 165.attracts audience.
andssl

Post by andssl »

The three pages about ryujin are full of text about folding process and some diagrams for the scales.
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

Nobody get your hopes up at all. If you speak Japanese then maybe it will help you out. As you see in those pictures, they are about 2 x 2 inches, low quality, black and white. They are on the book cover. The inner three pages have a few points from the cp detailed, nothing special at all. You could probably do better looking through blogs.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i disagree with anderson a little.

i do think that it was a little false advertising to have all these pics of various models on the cover that aren't diagrammed in the book. that said, the publishers have been up front from the beginning which models were diagrammed inside (the vast majority of origami books' contents are a huge mystery).

OTOH, in all fairness, anyone who thought the "photo guide" to the ryu jin 3.5 was going to be thorough was deluding themselves. a lot. there was just no way.