shaping?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
phillipcurl

shaping?

Post by phillipcurl »

i have trouble with shaping models good. i fold very accurately (i literally measure the angles to make sure i get them right. i obviously have OCD) but then when it comes to shaping, it isnt my strength.
i want to learn how to make my models more lifelike, for example:
This model by Sipho Mabona. i though it was real. i'd love to learn how to fold like that.

does anyone have any tips on how to improve on shaping?
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Re: shaping?

Post by Baltorigamist »

I honestly don't know, but the strategy I use is to go by instinct. Don't constantly compare the model to a picture, because then you'll never be satisfied. Form a mental image of the model, what you feel best captures the essence of the subject. Then shape lightly--less is more. The example above is full of really subtle curves on the horns and antennae, and the legs aren't forced into a sharp corner.
As far as the 3D-ness goes, I'm not sure. You may want to ask Sipho (if you haven't already) about the techniques he used on that specific model.

(On a side note, what species is that? I'm tempted to design my own now.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

thank you, i'll try that. and i believe the common name is 'rainbow stag beetle', i couldn't even begin to spell the official name.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Volume shaping usually requires paper reserve, thus you'll only go so far if you don't keep it in mind when designing your base (sometimes you may get lucky though...) - this beetle is unbelievable btw...
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i know - i think this is one of the best beetles ever made.

and by paper reserve, you mean extra paper you can pull out and shape, correct?
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I agree--it's among the best.

Yeah, I assume. I can't imagine the planning that must require.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

thats the crease pattern. doesn't look near as hard as i thought it would.

what i decided to do, since mainly i'm just struggling with insects, is fold every insect diagram i have, especially out of Insects II by Dr Lang. Then i can move on to crease patterns :D
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
SpencerSDH

Post by SpencerSDH »

I really want to get better with crease patterns, but I don't do a lot of folding with them. Is the box pleating as hard as it looks?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

box pleating can be hard, but usually it is straightforward. ODS 2nd Edition (Dr Lang) has a very good section on it.
viewforum.php?f=4]
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2131
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
cowburger13

Post by cowburger13 »

Not hard, but VERY time consuming, especially when folding a grid.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i hate grids -_-
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
cowburger13

Post by cowburger13 »

Ha ha, that makes two of us :) I hate shaping too, I guess you gotta use tissue foil. It is a very hated paper because people complain about it wrinkling, but that is not the case. People fold crappy with it, and then crumple shape it, but considering you fold perfectly, then that won't be a problem. This was folded from TF: Image
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

yea, i saw that on flickr a moment ago. its a real good design.

tissue foil just takes practice to fold with, i need to practice more with it, i just haven't had time. the hairtail i folded (on my flickr) is from tissue foil, and it turned out quite nice. well, terry tissue. which is better then regular tissue foil by a long shot, and i used wet folding and wire reinforcements to get it to hold its curviness.

i'm trying out double tissue with MC for testing models out, before i make a 'final draft' with a nicer paper, to get shaping and stuff down pat.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

When it's time to shape my model, I usually search for a good picture on google of the animal. Then I shape the model to look as much as the picture as possible. I don't have lot of experience with boxpleated models, The models I've done were really hard to shape. I guess it's because of the limitations of boxpleating. It tends too look 'boxy' and not very lifelike.
I mostly use tissue foil. Because of the foil it shapes easily, limbs etc will stay in place. Or I wetfold the model. When wetfolding, I first fold the complete model, then hold it under the crane, so it's soaking. I use a towel to dry it a bit. Then I use paintingtape too keep al the folds in place in the angles and places I want them, the next day I gently take of the tape, and I got a finished model.
Hope this helps in anyway.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

I sometimes got a lot of trouble when shaping models, especially insect models. When I shape flat areas that are one layer thick (like the dorsal abdomen of Mabona's Mantis), I get wrinkling like this:

and, I cannot get a clean puffed eyes, as demonstrated by this picture:

The overall model currently look like this:

Also, the middle legs are very thick. The whole thing is very unclean. Does anyone has any tips for improvement?