Christmas Origamibook 2012

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Christmas Origamibook 2012

Post by roodborst »

1.5 hour later and I'm starting to get really fed up with this. (also feeling alot of more respect for people who do diagram there models.) I have got to step 5 by now, and I'm stuck. When I fold the model it takes me about 2 hours to finish, but diagramming every little step really does take alot of time. Also, I have to guess where my angle bisector are gonna be.

I'm just wondering:
What is the easiest and fastest way to diagram a model? I'm thinking taking picures of every step. Maybe you can scan the model after each fold and add texts later, but that would also be time consuming. I'm not known for patience I guess....
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

A general way to bisect an angle you can find here. In Inkscape you could use circles and put their centers at the places where the sharp point of a drawing compass usually would be.
Also in Inkscape, click File -> Inkscape Preferences and go to "Steps" There you have an option "Rotation Snaps" at certain degree. If you draw a Bezier Curve/Straight Line (SHIFT+F6) and use CTRL your line will snap at certain angles. This is what you set with Rotation Snaps. Let's say you choose 22.5 your line will snap every 22.5 degrees (so 16 times per circle). This is also a way to get certain angles, else use trigonometry. (if possible of course)

For me the easiest way to diagram is in Inkscape, for others it is taking photo's and adding in the text and folds. I personally think digital drawings and hand drawn are nicest (pencil and paper effect in digital form is something I am still looking for to do correctly). When using photo's you should also keep notice if the lighting is correct and everything is visible in the steps.
There are pros and cons to every way, just use the one that suits you best :)
My Flickr

FlareglooM
Langko

Post by Langko »

roodborst wrote:I hope to diagram my goat first, thank you langko. I that works I might diagram the others aswell, since they use the same base, the first 50 steps or so should be the same. Except that I have been working with inksscape for about an hour and finally I have managed to make step1, Fold and unfold diagonals. So it is not going as fast as had hoped... to be continued...
Cool! good luck with the diagrams. I am not using inkscape (for the simple reason that I don't know how to use it and don't want to have the frustration you are having) so I cant really help you much. Sorry.
steingar wrote:One way to diagram is to use graph paper. You do the diagrams in pen or ink on graph paper, then scan i at high resolution. You should be able to get a good jpg file that you can further manipulate with most image processing software. Good luck, your models are fabulous.
Thanks very much for your advice and hints. I started diagraming the model on illustrator because I already know the basics of how to use it. It seems to be working alright at the moment :D
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
Multislash

Post by Multislash »

Wow!!!
I'll make my diagram fast!!
Hahaha... I'm so excited about this
I'll make Diagram of my newest design asap
Langko

Post by Langko »

I finished, just have to assemble the pages into 1 pdf file. The last page of my Coat of Arms diagrams. My first time diagraming a model and I think it turned out rather well. Diagrammed on Illustrator. I drew all the arrows and symbols myself so apologies if they look slightly different to what they should. The diagrams are 4 pages in total and as you can see 33 steps long. Hope you like :D
riko

Post by riko »

Wow! Really good diagrams, Langko!
I can't wait to see it in the book! (and to fold it) :D
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

After taking a break, I continued on my diagrams and made it to page 2, step 14. Now there are some non flat foldable things that I have to work out but I'm slowly getting the hang of inkscape. Thanks for that 22.5 degree angle tip, that really helps out alot, since my model is mosty 22.5 based.
Maybe in a week or so the diagrams are actually going to be finished, and I'll need some testfolders. If your interrested let me know.
riko

Post by riko »

I would test your diagrams if you want. :)
Langko

Post by Langko »

riko wrote:Wow! Really good diagrams, Langko!
I can't wait to see it in the book! (and to fold it) :D
Thanks very much Riko, I am glad you like :D
roodborst wrote:Maybe in a week or so the diagrams are actually going to be finished, and I'll need some testfolders. If your interrested let me know.
I would be happy to test fold if you would like :D

My friend Rui Roda on flickr, kindly test folded my diagrams and he gave me the thumbs up. The picture above is of Rui's rendition (he did a fantastic job). I just sent the diagrams to Anna now :D
Alexorigami

Post by Alexorigami »

Langko, if you need any more test folders I'd be glad to help.
steingar

Post by steingar »

Langko wrote:
roodborst wrote: Thanks very much for your advice and hints. I started diagraming the model on illustrator because I already know the basics of how to use it. It seems to be working alright at the moment :D
If I am not mistaken, Illustrator has the guts of Freehand, the software used by many for diagramming. Your diagrams appear outstanding, and I look forward to seeing more of your art.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Hi, I was wondering if I was able to submit a diagram, photo instruction for my Tea-Stained Paper. http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N ... hotostream

Thanks so much, Ben

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Just a small update. Right now I'm to step 36 on page 6! So it's actually going better as I anticipated.
Almost done with head and front leg part of the model. Now I'll have to figure out how I folded the hind legs on my original model and then diagram them. I can't believe I might just finish in time!
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Benlewisorigami wrote:Hi, I was wondering if I was able to submit a diagram, photo instruction for my Tea-Stained Paper.
I guess that counts. Its a guide, isn't it? :)
Just ask Anna(origami_8) over PM to be sure, as I am not the one running the book.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thinking about submitting the CP for my Lily model as well. Thoughts? (I'd diagram it, but I'm too lazy.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr