Origami Roc

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
vctrm67

Origami Roc

Post by vctrm67 »

I'm an average folder, and I can fold some good stuff. I have the Origami Essence book and I've folded just about every level 3 model. I really, really, really want to make the Origami Roc. I have the Elephant Hide paper and everything. Could someone tell me will it take a really long time and will it be extremely difficult? Is it possible to make a good Origami Roc on my first try?
Bass

Re: Origami Roc

Post by Bass »

Don't waste your good paper on the first attempt. You need to understand the model before you really set out to get a good result. The first time I folded it took about 2-3 hours from kraft paper, and it turned out like so:

The back isn't much of an issue, but the legs on the other side are probably the hardest part next to collapsing the base. So just go ahead and get some big practice paper out and try it! :)
Trakthor

Post by Trakthor »

I used Elephant hide for my first try and as Bass said, the back is not a problem.

But the legs are much more harder and I messed up the head quite a bit!
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

my first attempt at this came out wrong because i somehow measured 16 instead of 18. my second one turned out better. i will post a picture.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

In my opinion Elephant Hide isn't the right paper to fold this model. There's a good amount of layers making it really hard to shape with such a stiff paper. I'd recommend something thinner that holds its shape well, like for example Tissue Foil. I've folded it some time ago from 30cm Terry Tissue Foil paper and was rather pleased with the result. (First and only try so far.)

Alexorigami

Post by Alexorigami »

I've recently folded this from rice paper treated with CMC, so fairly thin paper.
The shaping went nicely, I didn't have problems with the layers anywhere.
I believe Elephant Hide was only recommended because of the wings which are only 1 layer thick. But they came out alright with thin paper too. You may want to find a compromise between the two extremes (lots of layers, and only 1 layer) and use a medium thickness paper like Anna did.
Hope this was somewhat helpful. And I can help with this model if needed.
vctrm67

Post by vctrm67 »

WOW!!!!! I suppose I'll try it with a different kind of paper first, but still........it makes me wonder if I can be as good on my first try.......all you guys first tries look perfect......

Oh and does anyone know any places to get big practice paper?
Edg

Post by Edg »

vctrm67 wrote:WOW!!!!! I suppose I'll try it with a different kind of paper first, but still........it makes me wonder if I can be as good on my first try.......all you guys first tries look perfect......

Oh and does anyone know any places to get big practice paper?
Try Kraft wrapping paper, which is widely available. I was given a pad of flipchart paper which is large, thinner than copy paper and suprisingly tough even on repeated closed sinks . I imagine you can get it from most office supply stores but I don't know how cheap it is. Just don't expect an attractive result! Still, good enough for test folds, if you can get it cheap.
thereaper66

Post by thereaper66 »

can anyone please help with step 111? it looks like a mistake to me.