All my diagrams for free

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
phillipcurl

All my diagrams for free

Post by phillipcurl »

I've decided since my diagrams on OUSA aren't and haven't been selling very well since I put them on there a while back, that I would just give them away for free.
I want to contribute to the community more so than make money, and besides - I've made only around $15 in 7 months on OUSA. I would like to thank everyone who supported me on there by buying the diagrams, but it just isn't making enough money to even be worth it. By all means, if you want to buy them instead of downloading them, do so! I know that very few people (including myself) wouldn't even do that, but it you did, it would be awesome.

Without further adieu, here are the diagrams:
Manta Ray: Star: Mantis: Be sure to comment about the quality of the diagrams, as in where I can improve, constructive criticism, et cetera. By the way, Long Quach - if you are reading this, this is pretty much a direct response to what you said on my Flickr account. You know, saying that I "don't do anything for the community" and that I am "begging for money". Thanks to the people who defended me on there, by the way. It meant a lot.

Anyways, as always, thanks and I hope you all have a fun time folding these! :D
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
bethnor
Buddha

Re: All my diagrams for free

Post by bethnor »

phillip--you err in trying to engage with quach.

anyone who thinks about doing the same, please go to long quach's flickr account (i will not link it), where he has posted a very long letter to an ICU nurse that took care of him. reading through it should tell you everything you need to know (if you can get that far). trying to be nice to this guy is like petting a wasp.

also, your flickr account is your personal space. you don't have an obligation to recognize "free speech" there. were i you, i would exercise your authority as moderator of your own account and delete that long-winded piffle.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I'm testing the star diagram and here are my comments:

In step 6 the "white" color is revealed, it is as if in step 5 you had to unfold the blintz, when in fact you don't.

The mountain crease in step 6 should be at 45° instead of vertical to get to step 7.

In step 7 the two colors shouldn't be shown, only the color side.
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

bethnor wrote:phillip--you err in trying to engage with quach.

anyone who thinks about doing the same, please go to long quach's flickr account (i will not link it), where he has posted a very long letter to an ICU nurse that took care of him. reading through it should tell you everything you need to know (if you can get that far). trying to be nice to this guy is like petting a wasp.

also, your flickr account is your personal space. you don't have an obligation to recognize "free speech" there. were i you, i would exercise your authority as moderator of your own account and delete that long-winded piffle.
I couldn't agree more. When I decided to remove content (that I posted to help him) on my Flickr account, I got a reaction totally out of place. I was burning his library, and how dare I do that. My immediate response was that he should stop whining because it's my photostream. After that he stopped, thank god. (okay currently there is also no content to spam into on my Flickr, due to my inactivity).

As for the "don't do anything for the community". Who gives a **** if you don't add to it. The most important thing is that you like doing origami. Everything else comes from that. If you want to talk about origami or share your diagrams or post pictures of your models you can tend to the origami community. But adding to the community is not something mandatory if you like doing origami, it's a choice.

Anyways time to stop here, or there will come a big sized post directly to LQ and he is not worth my time. Might make some time to reply to your diagrams instead.
My Flickr

FlareglooM
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

I've got 3 models on OUSA, and although I can't say they've yet paid back the time it took for the diagrams, they got me started in Inkscape! Now I just have to unpack and set up my PC once I feel like continuing in Inkscape.
It's just one place to submit- there are enough convention books during the year to try other places.
steingar

Post by steingar »

The diagrams look quite crisp, I'll give them a try later. I tend to send mine into OUSA and other Origami organizations, I like receiving the diagram collections.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

bethnor wrote:phillip--you err in trying to engage with quach.

Bold: I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at this :lol:
You are correct though, I have tried for too long to be nice to him - I even opposed banning him, at first. The guy is a nutcase, but a pretty intelligent one at that.
steingar wrote:The diagrams look quite crisp, I'll give them a try later. I tend to send mine into OUSA and other Origami organizations, I like receiving the diagram collections.
I may do that, I just don't feel that my models/diagrams are good enough... the star and manta ray are too simple, and the mantis is insanely hard.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

phillipcurl wrote:I've decided since my diagrams on OUSA aren't and haven't been selling very well since I put them on there a while back, that I would just give them away for free.
What program do you use? You're style is similar to origamileo's. You can find here two of his diagrams; do you also see the similarity in the style :)?

http://neorigami.com/neo/index.php/en/a ... con-jinete

http://neorigami.com/neo/index.php/en/a ... eno-blanco

He's making some diagrams of one of my models as a favor, they're for the Mini Neo electronic magazine.

phillipcurl wrote:I may do that, I just don't feel that my models/diagrams are good enough... the star and manta ray are too simple, and the mantis is insanely hard.
If you ever want to share these diagrams or any others in the collaborative blog, Neorigami, I'd appreciate it a lot :).
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Gerardo wrote:
phillipcurl wrote:I've decided since my diagrams on OUSA aren't and haven't been selling very well since I put them on there a while back, that I would just give them away for free.
What program do you use? You're style is similar to origamileo's. You can find here two of his diagrams; do you also see the similarity in the style :)?

http://neorigami.com/neo/index.php/en/a ... con-jinete

http://neorigami.com/neo/index.php/en/a ... eno-blanco

He's making some diagrams of one of my models as a favor, they're for the Mini Neo electronic magazine.
I use inkscape, and you are correct - our styles are very similar. I would love to do the line behind the pictures, as well, but I haven't got the time or patience to do that as of late.
phillipcurl wrote:I may do that, I just don't feel that my models/diagrams are good enough... the star and manta ray are too simple, and the mantis is insanely hard.
If you ever want to share these diagrams or any others in the collaborative blog, Neorigami, I'd appreciate it a lot :).
Feel free to use them as a blog post or in the magazine, if you want. Just post a link to either my website or my flickr account :)
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
steingar

Post by steingar »

To me it isn't about hard or simple, it's about clever and elegant. I prefer simple but clever to insanely complex but straightforward. You should never be afraid to submit your diagrams, the number of us who diagram our models is vanishingly small. The entity to whom you're sending can always say no.
fncll

Post by fncll »

Thanks for sharing these, Phillip!
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

I'll try test folding them tomorrow, and don't get too down on yourself Phillip, we all feel that way sometimes, myself especially. I never purchased your mantis diagram, so I'll go ahead an do that. :D
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

phillipcurl wrote:Feel free to use them as a blog post or in the magazine, if you want. Just post a link to either my website or my flickr account :)
Thank you so much Phillip!

The blog doesn't work like that. Just like here in the forum, people create an account to post. Just that the blog is for posting blog entries with photos and descriptions of their own designs and entries of personal articles.

If you aren't interested, I totally understand :). Still, the doors of Neorigami will always be open for you, and everyone else from the forum ;)
Last edited by Gerardo on September 7th, 2013, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I got yours mixed up with another blog, sorry. I think I am registered on Neorigami, I'll just need to update my account. I'll do that now.
origami-artist-galen wrote:I'll try test folding them tomorrow, and don't get too down on yourself Phillip, we all feel that way sometimes, myself especially. I never purchased your mantis diagram, so I'll go ahead an do that. :D
Thanks so much for the advice and donation, Shuki :)
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

Some Great work. I like the clarity of the diagrams, and the style you've used for drawing them. The only improvement I might suggest you make is make sure that flaps look like flaps, when the model is flat, as when there are several flaps of the same color sharing an edge, it looks like they're one piece of paper. Also, some of the three dimensional parts are also a little distorted, and hard to comprehend where the curves and shapes are. Apart from that, it's pretty good.