All my diagrams for free

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
phillipcurl

Re: All my diagrams for free

Post by phillipcurl »

the modern einstein wrote:Some Great work. I like the clarity of the diagrams, and the style you've used for drawing them. The only improvement I might suggest you make is make sure that flaps look like flaps, when the model is flat, as when there are several flaps of the same color sharing an edge, it looks like they're one piece of paper. Also, some of the three dimensional parts are also a little distorted, and hard to comprehend where the curves and shapes are. Apart from that, it's pretty good.
Thanks man. I think I did a better job at showing flaps with the Mantis than the other two, but there are some mistakes in that one as well (for example... what happened to step 23 is a mystery to me as I clearly remember drawing it)
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
jeko

Post by jeko »

Dear Phillip,

thank you so much for making these diagrams available for free.
You asked for constructive criticism, so here is my take:

I just folded your manta ray without any problems. It's a really nice model
Why I still would not have bought these diagrams:
Rays - Hoàng Tiến Quyết

I'm not a "star folder" 8) so no comments on that one.

Praying mantis: the final drawing of the model is not very attractive, maybe try to add some shading. Personally I would have first tried one of Lang's first (Origami Insects II or Origami Insects and Their Kin), which are even a bit more detailed (but of course you can't get these for $2.50) if I already have to wetfold, MC, use special paper, ...

I tried 3 different PDF viewers and there seem to be some additional lines around the fill in most of the steps. E.g., in ray, step 5 the dark gray areas have double borders as well as the arrow head, in step 8 there is some white in between the gray fill and black lines, ... I don't know if that's just an export issue of your Inkscape version, but that has never happened in mine, or whether this is on purpose. I found http://papirfoldning.dk/temp/symbols_origami.svg very useful.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

thanks, jeko :)
i figured that not many people would have bought that one, but surprisingly, it sold over 10 copies! IMHO, Quyet's rays are a lot better than mine, so I was rather surpsised.
in the praying mantis, i think it has an easier folding sequence than lang's (definitely quicker) at the expense of measuring and marking. his is still superior though, mine was more intended to be "cute" than anything else :)
just noticed the extra lines, by the way. not sure why they are there. i'll fix that next time i bother updating these.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Tavin

Post by Tavin »

did you take down the free links on purpose? because the are dead :(
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

No, my webhost deleted my database for some reason. I'll email you the diagarms.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
jradar

Post by jradar »

i'd love to get those diagrams as well, please!!!
jradar

Post by jradar »

Phillip, i could not figure out how to reply to a private message??

is it because i'm new to the board?

i'd love to get the following ... scorpion, manta ray, mantis, lizard, KOI !!!, trilobyte

also, i'm fairly new to some of these more advanced techniques, but i'm eager to learn ... question: how does one use a 'crease pattern?' ... i get that it's the key to folding some of these diagrams, but is there a resource online that you can point me towards?

thanks very much

also, if anyone can point me to how to reply to a private message, i'd appreciate that.

thanks!!!
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I'm sorry, I forgot you have to have over three approved posts to send a PM, so we know you aren't a robot or something. I'll send you the diagrams to the models that I designed (the first three you listed) and the last three except the trilobite are available for free online. I'll send you the links to those, too. The trilobite is found in one of the newer tanteidan convention books ;)
We actually have a few topics on how to use a crease pattern.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2131 is the most useful, but you may need to fold an irregular grid... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10420
You can post questions about either of those in the respective topics. I'll get an email out to you sometime soon with the links and diagrams.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
jradar

Post by jradar »

thanks so much! i appreciate all the help!
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

None of the links doesn't work!!! :(
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I'll fix them. My website got deleted for some stupid reason, and I've been too lazy to re upload the links.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Wuggums47

Post by Wuggums47 »

I'm so sorry that people were being rude to you. Some people seem to think that because this is the internet they have the right to be mean to people without repercussion. Thanks so much for sharing your models with us, it's a shame they didn't sell well. They all look good to me. Especially the manta ray.
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.