How to use Lang's treemaker

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
greencube07

How to use Lang's treemaker

Post by greencube07 »

Hi,I'm greencube. I've been trying to fold some box-pleat models but it didn't work very well, so I decided to use some help of treemaker to make the tree into cp.Unfortunately,I'm not good at using computer programs so I couldn't do it.
As you see in TED or book ODS,he draws the tree in the program and gets the cp., but I can't find the button to draw the tree and can't find the button to make it into cicle-packed cp..Any help?
I would be more thankful if you guys can show me how to do it with screencaptured pictures..
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re: How to use Lang's treemaker

Post by Swapnil Das »

I have problems with this too! :(
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
JamesOrigami490

Post by JamesOrigami490 »

Click anywhere on the paper to get a circle. From there you can change the circle's size, add new circles, etc. You can also pair circles around the symmetry lines, etc. Then you can go into the action menu, click "Scale everything." Your circles should be scaled. Now click "Build Crease Pattern". Then I like going into the view menu. You can see your tree, the folded base, the crease view, plan view, etc.
Hi! I'm James, in 7th grade, and an avid paperfolder/writer.
My imgur
My Website
JamesOrigami490

And if you go into help, there are some good tutorials.
My imgur
My Website
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

Em..I don't actually understand your explanation,What I saw on those people who used this program draws a tree and clicks some button and the cicle packed cp was finished. I'm not sure I understood clear, but do you mean that I have to start up with cicle-packing instead of making tree..? :(
myself

Post by myself »

First of all, there are dozens of topics about this, so starting a new one isn't really useful.
Second of all, Treemaker has a huge guide with everything you need to know, and I strongly reccomand to read that. In case you don't understand it, just search for topic titles with 'treemaker' in it, there's a pretty big chance you're not the first one to ask this question.
I hope this helps.
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

I already tried finding about treemaker in this forum, but none of them actually helped me..I'll search again,sorry..
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

myself wrote:First of all, there are dozens of topics about this, so starting a new one isn't really useful.
Second of all, Treemaker has a huge guide with everything you need to know, and I strongly reccomand to read that. In case you don't understand it, just search for topic titles with 'treemaker' in it, there's a pretty big chance you're not the first one to ask this question.
I hope this helps.
Please don't backseat moderate, and if you are going to, make sure you know what you are talking about. There are not dozens of topics about it, I really don't think there is even one that goes in depth about it.

I've played around with treemaker some, and designed a few models with it. Honestly, I don't think it is the best way to learn how to design - it gives you the most efficient packing for the number of flaps you desire, but you still need to thin and arrange the flaps; sometimes it may not even be possible to do so. Besides that, figuring out how to fold the finished model is hell, especially when it gives you weird reference points (all the time). Nevertheless, it is still a good way to design models, though not the best. Keep in mind it will ONLY give you circle-packing based models - not box pleated. You can imply symmetry into the base, though, so it is possible to obtain a 22.5 degree model from it. The best way to learn treemaker is through trial and error, and the help files provided with the program; but if you have any questions I'll be glad to help.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
JamesOrigami490

greencube07 wrote:Em..I don't actually understand your explanation,What I saw on those people who used this program draws a tree and clicks some button and the cicle packed cp was finished. I'm not sure I understood clear, but do you mean that I have to start up with cicle-packing instead of making tree..? :(
Well, maybe I didn't explain it too well. click on the square. This creates one flap. Click again. A circle's created, and a line connects the two circles. You can click and click and click, and circles appear with lines connected from themselves to the selected node, thus creating a "tree". You aren't actually creating a circle packing, but adding branches (Lines) to the tree. Then go to Action, click "Scale Everything", and you'll get the actual circle packing. It's hard to explain, so I'd recommend to go to the "Help" menu, click "Treemaker help", and then choose a the first tutorial to get started.
My imgur
My Website
myself

Post by myself »

phillipcurl wrote: Please don't backseat moderate, and if you are going to, make sure you know what you are talking about. There are not dozens of topics about it, I really don't think there is even one that goes in depth about it.
I'm sorry. When I searched for titles with 'treemaker' in it, I saw quite a lot of results, so I thought it would be better to post this in a topic that already exists. I didn't mean to be rude.
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

Now I get it! Thanks James :)
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

myself wrote:
phillipcurl wrote: Please don't backseat moderate, and if you are going to, make sure you know what you are talking about. There are not dozens of topics about it, I really don't think there is even one that goes in depth about it.
I'm sorry. When I searched for titles with 'treemaker' in it, I saw quite a lot of results, so I thought it would be better to post this in a topic that already exists. I didn't mean to be rude.
Those are posts ;)
Its fine. I probably came off as rude likewise.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

I just made my first treemaker CP!!! Now I need to try it out! I'll put it in as a surprise cp! :wink:

Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

WOOHOO! It works! But I'm thinking of making V.2

Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Sorry to open up an old topic. But every time I try to make a two lines close to each other, there's always a red line interrupting! it's like an annoying little brother! here's a print screen of my problem: