How to use Lang's treemaker

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
FlareglooM

Re: How to use Lang's treemaker

Post by FlareglooM »

To quote from the Help in TreeMaker itself (Tutorial 3):

"You should see some red lines, however. The red lines are paths that are not valid, meaning that their actual length is less than their minimum length. They are a sign that no valid crease pattern is possible with this arrangement of nodes. "

So if you move one of the circles where your problem lies up, there should be a point where your line becomes yellow. When it just turns yellow it means your line is equal to the length from the center of your circle along the river to the center of the next circle. (so basically the distance between your circles should coincide with the distances in you tree figure)
My Flickr

FlareglooM
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

thank you for the explanation. so is it better to use the book symmetry first?
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

There is no best symmetry afaik. It all depends on what you are designing, where you want color changes, where you want paper for extra details etc.
Let's say you want to design a human with color changed arms and legs. It is probably easier to use book symmetry in this case because you can use the corners of the papers and that is easier to make a color change. For diagonal symmetry you have to restort to at least two edge flaps.

If you just try to generate a starting point from which you can design further you might want to randomly select a symmetry, impose some conditions (if you have arms, the nodes for the arms are paired around the symmetry line) and see what happens after scaling. If you get a cp that cannot be generated completely because of some reason, see if you can use that pattern to generate something better (let it be by hand, pen and paper or finetune using TreeMaker)
My Flickr

FlareglooM