VOG Book #2

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
phillipcurl

Re: VOG Book #2

Post by phillipcurl »

bethnor wrote:wow, would some of you like some cheese with your whine?

nicolas puts out one book a year. it should be noted that if gallery origami house kept that pace, you would have books from hojo and chan by now. you should also take note that, in most instances, the books released by gallery origami house are anthologies of models that were previously diagrammed, with most only having 2-3 totally new ones.
+1. I much prefer Terry's books to origami house, mainly because they contain *new* content...not mainly previoualy published models.
Rosugamer wrote:
phillipcurl wrote:Be grateful you are getting anything for solving the code. In the past, I believe the prize has been diagrams. They don't even have to include the code in the book, you know - its just something fun to do.
Actually I agree with Mir here. Some people who bought the book for the simpler models like the cat and mouse almost definitely don't know how to solve CP's.
They may want to solve the secret code and even do so, but what's their hard earned reward?
Nothing useful(to them).
Nicolas doesn't have to put the effort into coming up with the code, and because of that, he can make the prize whatever he wants it to be. I do agree, in a sense, but I'm grateful that nicolas even does the codes... so i won't complain about what the prize is.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Rosugamer wrote: Actually I agree with Mir here. Some people who bought the book for the simpler models like the cat and mouse almost definitely don't know how to solve CP's.
They may want to solve the secret code and even do so, but what's their hard earned reward?
Nothing useful(to them).
the fact of the matter is, in order to even know about passion origami, nicolas terry, or the vog, you have to be something of an origami connoisseur. the books are fairly expensive, to boot. here, i'm sorry to say, it's caveat emptor; anyone who spends a lot of money on the passion origami books looking for lots of diagrams for simple models is getting what they deserve. the contents are always clearly advertised.

i'm a fan of dinh and quyet models, and anyone who "knows" can get most of their diagrams for free off the web (dinh has a website, and quyet post photodiagrams on the vog forums).
Rosugamer

Post by Rosugamer »

I guess you're right, it is a possibility for some folders though.
thewho77

Post by thewho77 »

I was a bit disapointed to see that i would not get the folding step for this extra diagram from the secret code but it's free and for fun.

Other thing is; i was amaze by the wyvern and the dinosaur Skeleton, but still no folding step for those.
Anyone know if its possible to find these CP we have in this book ?
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

You really think that you should get some sort of grand prize for solving a puzzle? Considering that anyone could easily ask someone what the code is and email that to Terry, it doesn't seem very reasonable.the fact that you are getting anything for solving a puzzle is extremely generous of Terry.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Why so many people are getting worked up over this, I'm not really sure. I'm pretty sure that nicholas didn't come up with the idea so that the first one to find the code is the better folder who gets the cp. The cp is just a little eye candy so that more people would have a good time trying to solve the puzzle. I think the whole idea of it was just to add a little extra fun, and whoever has the clever eyes and mind, would be given something for solving it. So really, just enjoy the fun of having a new book and aspiring to solve a fun puzzle in your free time. Dont get stressed over trying to find the cp and being the first to do it- my mom always says "enjoy the journey", so enjoy the fun of having a new book and not stressing over trying to crack the code. You don't wanna have everything at once so that you don't fully enjoy the amazingness of the book
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
Kyle2952

Post by Kyle2952 »

Well said Ben.
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89546245@N05
Comments welcome!!
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

Hi Guys

Thanks Anna for your vigilance. It's very kind from you.

Some might imagine that diagrams and CPs for the book are shared for a big part for the book and for a small part for the secret code, so they think that by buying the book, they should receive ALL the stuff !!!!

So let me clarify this.

In building this book, Giang Dinh, the VOGs and I, we have published ALL the available and publishable content. There is no missing diagram or no Hidden secret diagrams more in reserve to distribute to privileged folders...
We added all and this is why the book contains 16 pages more than Eco Origami and 48 pages more than " Licence to fold".

Find the secret code is only a little extra game that I like to add because I like puzzle and when I add it to the book, I have really NO idea if I have a gift to offer ! It's just a game for those who want to think and have fun in addition to the fold.
Anyway, the authors have NO obligation to me to bring content for the secret code, and I do not feel any obligation to the folders to give a gift in return.
It's just a game for fun to solve a puzzle.

When the book is finished, I wonder if some authors have new content they would like to share for the secret code. There are obviously not so much new content because of course,the authors have given the maximum for the book.
But with luck, we had a few authors who play the game and quickly draw a CP, or take photos, or even have time to finish a new currently diagram! that's why, in past, I got some precious gifts.

So for the next books , you will perhaps receive nothing as gift, or perhaps only photos, or perhaps only CPs ( because it is easier for an author to quickly draw a CP for the secret code rather than use 2 weeks to draw a new diagram ) and with a LOT of luck, maybe we could have a diagram, unpublished or maybe already published .

In short, if you have only one thing to remember is that the gift of secret code is ONLY the pleasure to solve a puzzle. And if in addition, you have a bonus content is that beacuse we are very lucky.

Besides, we are in fact really lucky today because Dang Viet Tan just send me the diagram of his toucan for those who have found the secret code! Yes, you read well : a diagram!

Note to those who have already found the secret code: I was on vacation so it will take me a little time to find your e-mail when I return back at job - Thank you for your patience and if in a few days, you don't receive the diagram, please contact me in private

Nicolas
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

It's easy enough in origami terms.
The prize you get for folding a diagram is the resulting model. The prize you get for solving a puzzle is the solved puzzle.
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

I for one am really enjoying VOG2 as I have all of the Passion series.

I have never taken the time to try and solve any of the codes - it's just not something I want to spend my time on (we are all stimulated by different challenges). Although I appreciate the point made that a CP is not a great reward for folders like me, that do not want to tackle this form of origami, I would much rather that the reward "only" be a CP than miss out on a full set of diagrams. I can imagine how annoyed I would be if I had to crack a code for, say, Quyet's pelican diagrams. So thanks Nic for putting ALL the diagrams in the book - I would rather pay extra for the extra pages.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

i would prefer solving cp's over the secret codes. XD
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

mir numaan wrote:i would prefer solving cp's over the secret codes. XD
Me too.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
thewho77

Post by thewho77 »

I was sure to have read something about an extra disgram if we could crack the secret code, so even if i've say that i was a bit disapointed when i saw only a CP i still enjoy the game and the book Vog 2

For the Toucan ''New Reward'' , it's a very very fun model to fold with nearly every aspect of origami inside of it.
I got my 1st one complete, i may post screenshot if i make a new one with better detail.
Thanks
thewho77

Post by thewho77 »

Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

sr123ification wrote:
Me too.
Then go on flickr, google, or any of the other numerous origami forums and look for cp's to solve. Wow, look at that! Your problem is solved.
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/