Origami In Comics

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
dinogami

Origami In Comics

Post by dinogami »

I was just rereading the second trade paperback (TPB) of the Vertigo comic Fairest, which is a spin-off of the comic Fables (both fantastic reads that I highly recommend if you're even remotely a comic-book fan...they are not stereotypical "superhero" comic books!). Origami plays a minor but important role throughout the storyline in this TPB (which collects issues #8-14 of the comic), primarily in the form of traditional cranes. However, in chapter 2 (equivalent of issue #9), a small child is seen playing with what are very obviously Kamiya's "Ancient Dragon" and "Kirin" models:

When origami shows up in comic books, it's typically in the form of traditional models, so this was a pleasant surprise! I wonder if Kamiya knows about this...? I wasn't able to find any obvious connection between origami and either of the two artists for the book (Inaki Miranda of Spain and Barry Kitson of the UK), but clearly at least one of them knows origami well enough to be familiar with Kamiya's work!

Any other interesting comic-book examples of origami of which anyone is aware?
Last edited by dinogami on December 28th, 2013, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Origami In Comics

Post by roodborst »

As someone with a interest in comicbooks I find this very cool. There is no doubt that these are kamiya"s models.
I know there is a origami badgirl in the naruta series. But this is the first time I see a more complex model beinh used. Nice find!
dragonaura

Post by dragonaura »

I'm always quite trilled when I see origami in comics I like. It's surprising to see anything other then traditional models shown so to see kamiyas models, wow :D .
I was reading Apocalypse no Toride- a zombie manga by Kuraishi Yuu, and Inabe Kazu and saw a traditional crane:
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/10605/07 ... d/v018.jpg
Excuse the words-it's quite a violent zombie manga
I was happy to see my favourite hobby in my favourite manga :mrgreen:
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Not exactly comics, but in the indie game "To the Moon", the wife of the main character is obsessed with folding origami rabbits. Incidentally the graphic designer of the game chose Maekawa's rabbit. However no mention of Maekawa. Then again perhaps I should wait until I beat the game to see the credits.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Though not comics, In the cartoon movie "Scooby Doo and the Ghost of the Black Samurai", Shaggy and scooby folds an origami Octopus and Velma realizes that the Destiny Scroll will show the way if you fold the scroll into an Origami Dragon. And the dragon was a neat model! Not any famous models, But at least it showed them!
Note: If you've seen the movie, You'll have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
Foldingsmith

Post by Foldingsmith »

There is an Usagi Yojimbo short story entitled, "Tsuru". Dark Horse has made it available in an animated form:

http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com ... -with.html

More background:

12. Was your online comic "Tsuru " (Dark Horse Comics) reprinted anywhere? Are there any other stories where origami is a theme?

(WWW Board July 2000) The story was first published in monthly installments in The Dark Horse Extra, a monthly advertising tabloid newsletter. It will be reprinted in an upcoming trade paperback collection.

The short story "Tsuru" [Which you can find on the UY Animation page], which was serialized in Dark Horse Extra, has an assassin with a habit of folding paper cranes [reprinted in UY Book 14 "Demon Mask"]. Also the story "Runaways" [UY Vol 3, #13-14 and UY Book 9] takes place during the Tanabata Festival one of whose customs is trimming branches with paper cranes and other paraphenalia. I don't offhand recall any other stories.

One footnote to the Tsuru story is that I had intended to include instructions on folding cranes however I wound up needing the space for story. Maybe I'll include it next time when the opportunity arises.

(WWW Board Apr 2000) The story, Tsuru (crane), will be included in a forthcoming volume but in black & white. [It's in USAGI YOJIMBO Book 14: Demon Mask]

The first episode has Usagi entering a roadside inn where he notices a guy folding a paper crane.
He goes over and comments on it.
The guy says: "It helps me remember all those I've killed."
Usagi: "The crane is a symbol of long life. How many have you killed?"
Guy: "More than you can count. I am an assassin."
To be continued.
Foldingsmith

Post by Foldingsmith »

nonkelgans

Post by nonkelgans »

There used to be a comic serie that was called "The Sandman Mystery Theatre". The storyline was more a dark detective line but the main character (The Sandman) left a origami folding every time he solved a crime. That's how I came into contact with Origami and it has never left me since.

There is also the wordless comic "The Arrival" by Shaun Tan which has an Origami Crane in it.