what glue should I use?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origami_8
Administrator

Re: what glue should I use?

Post by origami_8 »

I moved the last three posts into the existing topic. Just like Mir Numaan said, we don't need several topics about the same subject.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

hello, i am a bit doubtful with my tissue, so i took some closeups of it.

is it really tissue paper? does your tissue look like this?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

then why isn't my double tissue strong? i can easily rip it off. Also, as i said earlier my MC is not pure and ruins everything. Can you guys list a online resource of MC which is great for stuff like this? I want to buy a big pack, so that it lasts for years. I am going to order a lot of stuff. Thanks a lot!
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Hehe that's double tissue for you... it's only strong if it's made perfectly. You might wanna check Phillip Curl's topic on how to make strong and wrinkleless double tissue topic. Also, if you're looking for a big jar that will last you, use this: http://www.amazon.com/Methyl-Cellulose- ... +cellulose

You can get it in the desired weights that you want depending on how often you use it.
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

thanks for the link. :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I use this tissue paper with that MC. The paper always comes out perfect. The MC powder in this pack lasts for years at least for me and my partner. Other stuff you need are a big glass surface, a jam jar for mixing the MC with water and a big brush like that one.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

thanks for the links ;) i will order them soon.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

hello! i will have to wait a bit more unti i get hands on my credit card. Anyways, i made one sheet of double tissue, last night and it dried overnight. This is the first time i managed to get less wrinkles and the paper was also smooth. The side that was on the glass was a bit shiny and smooth. I hope it happens to everyone and it's not an error. Also, I am just going to cut a square. I just want to know whether the paper is strong or not. Can someone tell me how?
Thanks from the core of heart XD.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Souns like you got it working :-)
Yes, it is completely normal that one side is shiny and the other one not. To test your paper strength you can take a small strip and fold it forward and backward until it rips. Weak papers will rip pretty soon, strong papers will last for much longer. You can also cut a small test sheet and fold a crane using this diagram: http://www.origami.at/diagrams/crane.pdf
The diagram includes complex manoeuvres like wrap arounds that are stressful for the paper and might show whether it is suitable for complex models.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

so i took a left over from square and tried to rip it along a crease. i can easily rip i off along the crease line without folding it back and forth :( can you please show me a picture of a perfectly made strong double tissue? it would help a ton
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

oh i forgot, here is my horrible fold from it
Dutch rabbit (test fold) Seith Friedman by Mir Numan, on Flickr
the paper was pink and red tissue. didn't have any other tissue paper at the moment.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Oh dear, is it really that hard to understand? Of course you can rip it, but that doesn't matter at all. What matters is that you can fold it back and forth very often without the paper ripping on its own. That the paper can not only easily be creased, but that those creases also can be easily reversed. The paper is thin and stays in shape. If that is not what you aim for in a paper, then double tissue is probably the wrong paper for you.

Not sure what exactly you want to show with the picture above. The paper isn't pink and red. Did you paint it, did you edit the photo afterwards? If you show us either an altered picture or a painted model, how shall we be able to tell anything about your paper?
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

i painted the paper after finishing the model. so it is clear that the double tissue i have is strong? the double tissue i made worked like a charm for the head but the for the back of the model, it was too soft. (the back of the model has only one layer) isn't that a disadvantage of using double tissue?
Dj origami

Post by Dj origami »

Well you can test fold model before using a good paper and then you can plan what kind of paper you need for 2nd fold. So let's say dutch rabbit... You could glue another layer of tissue at back part and that way it will be stronger there and it will work like charm at head part...
Mariano Zavala does this all the time... http://www.flickr.com/photos/marianozavala-origami/