Montroll Book Recommendations

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
sandy5280

Re: Montroll Book Recommendations

Post by sandy5280 »

I found his two books "Teach Yourself Origami" to be very methodical and helpful.

Sandy
Cat.

Post by Cat. »

Wow, there's been a lot of discussion on here overnight! Thanks for all of the advice. I get the overall impression that his books are generally good and I may as well just pick the one I like the look of most and go from there. I had a rough idea of what had happened with the sea creatures books from the gilad origami website, but didn't know there was a 3rd edition the same as the first.

I had thought about teach yourself origami too Sandy, thanks, as an intro to Montroll's stuff and to consolidate the basic skills. Lang's models in origami zoo have just got too hard for me - I want a bit of a challenge, but I don't want to spend 2 hours working and get nothing out, it's too demoralising. Life's a bit rough at the moment and the sense of achievement of working for a bit and making something nice really helps. That probably answers the 'why Montroll' question for me too - a good source of nice models that I'll enjoy making and learn from, at a time when learning wet folding and buying/making special paper isn't really what I need/want. In a few months that may change though :-)
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

good luck Cat! do you have a Flickr? i would love to see your folds!
Cat.

Post by Cat. »

Thanks Mir. I don't have a Flickr account. Im not sure my folds are good enough to show to you lot on here at the moment, but I do have photos of them all so I'll have a look through and see if there are any that I think are decent, or I'll just wait a bit until I can make better models.

I've just ordered origami dinosaurs from Amazon :-)
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Just another suggestion, I found that after doing Montroll for awhile I transitioned into Jun Maekawa models with little trouble. So if you guys are looking for a next step after Montroll, Genuine Origami is a popular suggestion for "easy but hard" models.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

@bethnor
Just saying, I'm looking at my book right now and it says "Origami Sea Life Second Edition"
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

I've searched amazon, gilad's page, ebay, barnes and noble, origami usa... I haven't found anything about it. can you take a picture of it? because if what you are saying is true, its probably worth thousands.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

http://www.amazon.com/Origami-Sea-Life- ... i+sea+life
This is the second edition. It's even listed as "2 Edition" in the description.

The first edition had a yellow cover, it was my first complex book, bought it at the Baltimore Aquarium in the early 90's.
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

I have just been told. you win, I had absolutely no idea. I thought I had the first edition...
Cat.

Post by Cat. »

Thanks Razzmatazz, I'm hoping to get that after I've made some dinosaurs - Edg suggested it too.

Mir (and anyone else who wants to look) I've created a Flickr account and uploaded a few pictures. Neither the origami nor the photography is going to win any prizes, but I hope they're not too bad: http://www.flickr.com/photos/115727694@N05/sets
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Very nice Cat., you should always mention the author of the models though.
Personally I prefer this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/115727694@N05/
The turtles turned out very cute.
Cat.

Post by Cat. »

Thanks :-) Sorry about not putting the authors on, I was having trouble with the computer (to cut a long story short) so I put them in sets by book hoping it would cover that (that was why I linked to the sets page rather than the photostream one). I'll try and fix it later.

Edit: I've updated all of the photos now. Thank you for pointing it out to me, I should have realised what the convention was and followed it from the start, sorry.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You are welcome. Great that you fixed it :-)

For everyone new to taking pictures of their models, these two topics offer some useful information:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7018&p=73358
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10415&p=131876
Cat.

Post by Cat. »

Thanks, my 'stand it on a cluttered table and take a snap with your phone' method goes against most of the advice on those threads :-) I'll give it more thought now, there's a lot of good information there!
merman

Post by merman »

I think the first edition of Sea Life had a vertical allignment:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 ... L1500_.jpg