Origami Flower Patterns book by Fuse, in Japanese

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
pariate

Origami Flower Patterns book by Fuse, in Japanese

Post by pariate »

Hello everyone

I'm relatively new to origami and this is my first post on this forum. I've had a few of those little kits over the years, the sort that have booklets with some easy models (boats, faces, etc.) and some basic papers, often given to children. I'm now in my 30s and have a couple of 'proper' origami books. I've invested in some interesting papers, but I practice using cheap stuff.

I've been working on a few models from Kasahara's Origami Omnibus and Michael LaFosse's Origami Butterflies. I find that often I don't have to refer to the written instructions that accompany the diagrams in LaFosse's book and am quite confident with different symbols. Even if there's a symbol I don't know, I can always look up the explanation.

The book Origami Flower Patterns has caught my eye... but it's in Japanese. My question to you is, have you used it and do you think a relative newbie could follow the diagrams without too much difficulty? I'd also be interested to know if you have any recommendations for paper types for the models in this book.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated! :)
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Origami Flower Patterns book by Fuse, in Japanese

Post by origami_8 »

As far as I'm aware Tomoko Fuse has very clear diagrams that should be manageable to fold without accompanying text if you are familiar with the usual symbols. Fortunately most Origami designers agree on using the same set of symbols and Tomoko Fuse is no exception. I don't have the book in question, but my Origami shelf is filled with books from all over the world including several in Japanese and so far I haven't had any language problems.
As for paper, I recommend you to buy a discovery pack at http://www.origami-shop.com/ to get to know the different kinds and look for yourself what you like.
pariate

Post by pariate »

Thank you for replying. I've tried several different paper types but wondered which type might be best for the flowers. Do I want something thicker/thinner? Soft or crisp? I'm assuming thinner and crisp but my experience is very limited!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, that depends completely on you. Some people fold them with ultra thin papers like Glassine (hard to work with) others prefer just the opposite and fold them with Elephant hide (thick and strong). A wide range of papers is suitable, starting with ordinary kami (common Origami paper). So what works best for you, you have to find out for yourself. Personally I'm no big friend of Tant, yet it makes very beautiful Flower Patterns, that is, if it doesn't rip, it is a rather weak paper. I'm also no friend of patterned papers, but there are people who think that Julia Schönhuber's papers make the most stunning looking Flower Patterns: http://www.papierdesign.at/origami-shop
pariate

Post by pariate »

Thanks. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of patterned papers (they're so often paisley or garish cartoon flowers) but I LOVE the rainbow papers.

I guess I'll see how I get on when the book arrives. I've got a few different weights of paper so I'll be happy experimenting. In hindsight I feel that my original question was a bit stupid because preference counts for so much when choosing papers, but I guess I wanted to see if anyone had any particularly strong feelings regarding choice of paper for models of this type.
smarcelab

Post by smarcelab »

Some time ago I folded a bunch of flowers from that book with different types of paper. You can see them here:
http://www.artisbellus.com/2012/06/bouq ... ettes.html.

I think I got the best results with the "crisp washi paper" from Kim's Crane (http://kimscrane.com/index.php?main_pag ... cts_id=440), which is thin, crisp and strong.