Using non sandwiched (one side not covered) foil?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
pepibom

Using non sandwiched (one side not covered) foil?

Post by pepibom »

I've been having a go at making my own foil paper using spray glue and SCMC (sodium carboxy.. works well actually) and usually sandwich the foil between unryu and tissue paper or two layers of tissue.

I wanted to use a thicker paper with the foil so I decided to not use the inner sandwich layer. The paper curled quite a bit when stuck down with the CMC... but I managed to fold with some challenges.

Are there any folders out there who make non sandwich foil (Shiny side exposed)? Is it common? Just curious. I get the feeling the folding itself is "smoothier" with the double sandwich layer.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Re: Using non sandwiched (one side not covered) foil?

Post by qtrollip »

I haven't folded with foil sandwich in a very long time, but I do think it folds easier with both sides glued to tissue paper.
Then the shiny side doesn't show either, which can be quite distracting.
Unless you want the metallic look. Like when folding a pocket knife etc.
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

Most origami pieces consist of the alternate side of the paper being visible, and if that is the side that is covered with paper, you will be primarily be working with the texture of that paper. If the metal to paper ratio is higher (which happens when you only cover one side), it feels closer to folding with foil which is a very stiff feeling. Obviously you are going for the shiny look, but keep in mind there are some artisan papers that are embossed with metal that often have a richer look.

- Marc
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

I fold a lot from tissue foil where i leave the foil side showing, because it's thinner than actual "sandwich" would be and it doesn't show up on my models at all, because the "seam" is on the bottom, and thererore hidden from view.

if I want a color change on a model, i either use two papers and glue them together without foil, or make a two-colored sandwich.

i have one model (leafy sea dragon) where the seam of foil would be showing on the top of the body, so i decided to fold it without the layer of foil altogether, just from paper alone.