Packaging models for mailing?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Tiny

Packaging models for mailing?

Post by Tiny »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of sending a model (Quentin Trollip's African Elephant) by mail as a present to a friend, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience/tips for packaging or preparation of the model. I was thinking of using tissue foil or leather paper from Nicolas Terry's shop (I'm not confident I'll be able to fold it with anything thicker!) but I'm worried they might be too flimsy for mailing. Is there any way I can make the final model stiffer (spray with something perhaps)? Or can anyone suggest a more suitable paper?

As for packaging, I'm planning on using a sturdy plastic box, lined with foam. Should I try packing peanuts maybe?
Acorn Man

Re: Packaging models for mailing?

Post by Acorn Man »

Packing peanuts will help. Could you make it from a bigger piece if paper and wet fold it? That would be the sturdiest. You could add crumpled up paper in the middle, like they do with shoes. Other than that, a spray sealant May make it a little stiffer, just make sure you use a dull one. Lacker maybe? I don't know on these for sure, maybe try it with a smaller, simpler model first. Hope this helps.
I finally got it to say something under my posts!
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

I've seen laquer used on paper necklaces and trinkets to make them sturdier, so I think I might use that on the underside of the model. Thanks for the tip about the crumpled paper, that should add some padding!
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

You might want to nest the shipping box inside another one to increase the crush resistance.