Need some help with origami jewelry

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Wuggums47

Need some help with origami jewelry

Post by Wuggums47 »

I have been making my own jewelry using chainmaille for many years, and I thought that putting an origami miniature in to my works could make a nice centerpiece. The only thing though, I would need a way to make the paper durable, and hopefully waterproof. I would also need to be able to puncture a hole in the model, and have the paper be durable enough to stay suspended by a ring through that hole. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
LeafPiece

Re: Need some help with origami jewelry

Post by LeafPiece »

I've been using origami in jewelry for some time. Paper jewelry can be pretty tough, depending on the model. The more compact it is, the better off you will be. In any case, you will want to pick a strong paper first and then seal it with varnish. I use a water-based polyurethane. You can brush it on or dip it, but first be sure to glue down any flaps that will come unfolded due to the moisture. After varnishing, it should be durable enough for a hole and to stay suspended by a ring. Paper is not heavy enough to pull through by its own weight. The wearer just needs to take care of it like any other fragile piece of jewelry they own.
JWorigamist

Re: Need some help with origami jewelry

Post by JWorigamist »

How about for making it water proof you use Rustoleum Never Wet? I don't know if it would harm the paper but you never know unless you try.
Ouch! Are you okay? Well...let's see.. advanced box-pleating techniques, Satoshi Kamiya, yeah I'm good. If you fall down nine times get up ten times.