Are there any other sites like Origami-shop?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Wuggums47

Are there any other sites like Origami-shop?

Post by Wuggums47 »

I'm a big fan of Origami shop, they have excellent products, but Sometimes I don't like waiting 4 weeks to get my paper/books. Are there any other sites that have paper suitable for supercomplex models? Just about every other website I found sells things like kami and what not. It seems like Origami shop is the only site with a large selection of large papers. Do you know of any other Origami websites?
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Are there any other sites like Origami-shop?

Post by bethnor »

the bottom line is no, but it depends largely on what you are looking for.

for instance, though it's one of the only outlets for origamido paper, there is, generally speaking, no reason to get origamido over ogami.

if you like handmade papers like unryu, lokta, etc., etc., there are many different reputable sellers stateside.

the 50 cm rolls of paper-backed foil are nice, but, as i have discussed, hygloss and alufoil perform similarly.

of the japanese specific origami papers, like tant, biotope, satogami, etc., etc., origami-shop is the only source save for the first. it is true that, while many sellers stateside also carry tant, origami-shop does seem to offer more flexibility re: colors.

as far as i can tell, origami-shop is the only reliable source for super thin kraft.

the VOG papers are also known as shoyu paper, and there is another source on the web.

nicolas terry "tissue foil" can also be found locally, if you are willing to look.

at this time, origami-shop is the only source of 35 cm japanese foil. many providers stateside do have 30 cm. it's a bit weird, actually.
Yiggy

Re: Are there any other sites like Origami-shop?

Post by Yiggy »

I was reading through Robert Lang's website and at one point he mentions a great store if you're in the bay area called Paper Tree. I was there about two weeks back and decided to dip into the store to take a look and they have a great selection of papers and also carry origamido if you're interested in that. They had a good mix of mulberry and other tissue papers, elephant hide, reptile hide, all manner of handmade japanese papers.

Now, I'm looking through their website, and there are several items and great papers they had for sale in their store which aren't listed on their website. So you might consider giving them a phone call if you're looking for something specific, as they might have it.

Either way, it was a very well stocked store and they had some great papers. Its worth taking a look. I love origami-shop too, but next time I may order from paper tree instead just because they're domestic unless there is an item I can only get from origami-shop.

http://paper-tree.com/

Cheers!