tiny folds

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
mst3k

tiny folds

Post by mst3k »

Wondering what tricks or techniques you use for small detailed folds. On a lot of high level models I see of insects etc there are very fine tiny folds to make the details, even starting with a large sheet of paper I struggle a bit to get the finishing details done especially because at that point the thickness of the paper starts to matter quite a bit. Do you use super thin paper?
In the same line of thought how do you make nice tight pleating like for wings? To keep the lines straight and tight and close to each other? Any tips from personal discovery?
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Re: tiny folds

Post by origamipete »

i generally use tissue foil for my complex models. as for tools, sometimes a toothpick, a skewer, a tweezer, even a ballpoint pen (an old one that ran out of ink already, to not mess up the paper) can help at times.
pleats are just pleats, i don't know what to suggest there, but i hope i helped a bit at least.
Kabuntan

Re: tiny folds

Post by Kabuntan »

You can reach an amazing level of details using your bare hands, you "only" need to be precise and have a sharp eye.
An example can be seen here, starting at 2:30. IIRC, it is said in the video that it was folded bare-handed. (No sound here right now, so sorry if I am wrong.)