A few questions about MC.

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
EvilSanta

A few questions about MC.

Post by EvilSanta »

So, I recently ordered some MC. But I have a few questions, and I would be grateful if you could help. ( I am an experienced folder, but I decided to get some MC to help make some double tissue and some things).

1. Do I keep the MC in the fridge, or only the solution of MC and water?
2. Do I keep the MC out overnight, or only the solution of MC and water?
3. (I may be able to answer this myself, but) corresponding to question 2, Do I keep the lid of the MC/MC solution open overnight?

Thanks!
-ES
origamifan11

Re: A few questions about MC.

Post by origamifan11 »

First, probably go to the thread about MC (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4578&start=510). Anyway, what I do is keep the MC itself anywhere but the solution (which I make very thick and will explain later why) in a jar in the fridge. Then what I do is leave the solution in the fridge and take it out an hour or so before I want use it. You shouldn't use everything from the jar, only a bit. I make the solution very thick, because when I use it, I pour the MC into some old tub-like thing and add some water, to make it the consistency that I like. If you want to keep the MC out overnight, then leave the lid on. Remember, this is just what I do (it's not the only way to do it) and everyone has a different way of doing it.
I hope this helped,
Orson
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
SandL

Post by SandL »

Always keep the powder at room temperature. The reason is very simple. When you put something in the fridge and then take it outside, if you open the flask (or bag) before it reaches room temperature you will have moisture from the air coming in, which might not be a good idea for something that becomes a gel in solution.

I have kept CMC solutions for well over a year at room temperature without any problems, but it was lab grade CMC and the solution was made with lab-grade water. I have kept regular MC solutions (metylan) made with filtered water for several months also at room temperature with no problem as well. When the solution is made with regular tap water it might be a good idea to keep the stock solution in the fridge to avoid mould growth, though I never had any problems before. I do the same thing as origamifan11, I make a thick solution (same consistency as jam) and dilute with water before use. Dissolved MC does change viscosity with temperature so if you keep your stock in the fridge allow at least the working solution to reach room temperature before you use it.
In science as in origami, make sure your papers are good.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

I have always kept MC at room temperature. This goes fro both the powder (sealed in its original container) as well as the solution made with RO filtered water (in a sealed mason jar). I go months at a time without using it and have never had a problem.

I mix at probably triple or quadruple the ratio that is recommends on the MC container. I don't know if it is necessary to use filtered water, but I have an RO filter for drinking water, so thats what I have always used. I honestly doubt that it really matters. It should be about the consistency of egg whites. I do not dilute any before using it. The basic technique is to lay two sheets of tissue on a glass surface, then slop the MC solution on with a paint brush, starting at the top middle and spreading out to the sides and down the sheet as I go. Keep putting it on until you think you have a little too much on, then put on a little more ;) For a 25" square (~60cm) I use probably a 1/3 to a 1/2 of a pint jar.

Don't worry about air bubbles too much, just keep painting from center to outside and push as many of them out as you can with the brush. I recommend keeping your fingers or anything else that is hard away from the paper. When it is saturated, it will tear or just kind of mush apart pretty easily. As long as the paper is saturated all the way through both sheets, the air bubbles pretty disappear when everything dries anyway. I let it just air dry at room temp or sometimes speed it up a little by putting a fan on it. No difference in quality of end product as far as I can tell.