bases for models

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
gadrick94

bases for models

Post by gadrick94 »

Hi, just finished my university final exams and I have to make a rooster for my friend's birthday. I have seen that some people have like bases for the models so they are like sculptures or something like that. Could you tell me of what material are made?
regards,
Adri
origamifan11

Re: bases for models

Post by origamifan11 »

The base of a model is simply the state that it is in before shaping. For example, a cp shows how to get to the base of a model, but the shaping is decided by you. Like all origami, they are made of paper. If you want to fold a rooster, I would recommend either Satoshi Kamiya's or Eric Joisel's. Unfortunately, I haven't folded either of them so I can't comment on their complexity.
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

@origamifan11 :lol: I think he is talking about the stand rather than the base.
Most of them are made of wood with a wire holding the model.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

I usually use some old big box and then stick a wire in the middle. Then I stick the wire into the model where it cannot be shown using some glue or tape. And for extra balance, try gluing the rooster's leg's into the box as well. ;-)
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

GrossMichael wrote:@origamifan11 :lol: I think he is talking about the stand rather than the base.
Most of them are made of wood with a wire holding the model.
Ok, my mistake #-o . For that I just use some copper wire. Swapnil's method is also good.
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
gadrick94

Post by gadrick94 »

Sorry for my english, I used base instead of stand, but yes I mean stand :oops: . Thank you all for the help
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

Display stands for models :
Interesting topic !
I am presently experimenting with a variety of display stands.
Here are a few possibilities:

1. Clear or colored acrylic 1" or 1 1/2 " cube, with alligator clip at end of 3" woven wire .
2. small interesting driftwood pieces, preferably sand blown clean.
3. small , geodes or rare rocks, with hole drilled into center for 3" woven wire/alligator clip.
4. sculpted stained glass piece, again with hole drilled into center for clip. Epoxy or silicone as needed.
5. rare, unique wood, 3 or 4 inch pieces, with or without mitered router edges. Lumber stores oftentimes
have a remnant box or cut-offs. Look for exotic grained pieces.
6. With heavy, heavy paper, build a 2 1/2 " rectangular box, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 " tall. Easy to do, neatness essential. Textured paper or cardstock preferable.
7. Heavy paper/cardstock make a pyramid box , with wire, toothpick or portion of bamboo skewer on top to elevate.
8. Take several light and dark grained lengths of wood, glue together alternating the different woods. Then saw , sand and stain/seal into 2" or 2 1/2 " pyramids ( tetrahedron ) . Cut hole at apex for wire & clip . Attractive, and weight should be able to support most models ( or make larger pyramids !).
Lots of other options, let your imagination run wild...
Again, neatness is important !
Would love to hear of other ingenious display stand alternatives.
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

My group organized an exhibition recently and we used some kind of frames, but sometimes the frames were like the ones used for paintings and some others more just to define a horizontal space, like this:

The advantage of frames over bases is that with the frames, you can hang them or place them against something or over something.