Folding Small Complex Models

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Life is Origami

Folding Small Complex Models

Post by Life is Origami »

I was looking on Robert Lang's website and saw his Samurai Helmet Beetle. It says that the resulting model is 3 inches long. Origami Insects II says that the end model size is 0.36 of the paper. I did the math and Lang would have folded it from about a 9 inch square. I just want to know how he could fold it from such a small piece of paper. I tried folding it from standard 8 1/2 inch printer paper and failed ( I'm very self-critical of my work ).
Is there any techniques on folding with small papers?
We all have gone very far from folding the crane.
HankSimon
Buddha

Re: Folding Small Complex Models

Post by HankSimon »

I dunno, but sometimes when I guess, the expert will speak up :-)

1. Robert probably used some nice Origami paper, such as Origamido paper.
2. He may have done some wet folding.
3. He may have used thin, strong tissue/foil paper.
4. For very complex models, he might score the CP into the paper with a laser.
5. Or he might just precrease, manually.
6. Finally, technique and experience helps - Robert has been folding for 50 years!
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

Not sure if this is of any help, but here is my frequent approach to any challenging model:
Start with a 12 " to 16 " square of tissue-foil.
As I become familiar with problem areas, make written and mental notes to improve.
Decrease paper size each time you fold the same model.
Ultimately, as Hank suggested, try origamido paper .
Obviously, you're going to fold the model several times, before reaching enough familiarity to properly fold a satisfyingly small rendition .
A final thought... Origami-shop used to have a very low gsm kraft paper, ideal for complex model practice.
( It was so thin, that one could easily see through it ! )
Havn't seen it listed lately, tho .
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

it's also worth noting that the kabutomushi is one of the more straightforward models in that book, aside from a diagramming error. i favor the 35 cm square, but it would probably not be that much harder with 25 cm.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

I once made it from a 24 cm Copy-ish paper without any tools or any sort of thing.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
Forum_Lurker

Post by Forum_Lurker »

Its probably not so much the technique as it is the paper.

I personally absolutely hate using tissue foil, but seems like that's the go-to paper type for insects.

If you don't use tissue foil, wet folding or wet shaping is pretty much a must.
Life is Origami

Thanks all for the replies! From what I learned, size, thickness, and type of paper is very important Robert Lang when he folds. His pictures are just amazing. I hate to drastically change the topic but I have gone through some good double tissue paper folding the samurai helmet beetle and failed on step 56. Pictures showing how to do it can help. Lang's models is so good but they are hard for me to finish without a good supply of paper. Please help me on step 59.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Life is Origami

Sorry bethnor. I've already looked at that topic and it just confused me more. I'm a visual learner. Photos of the process can really help, please.
Forum_Lurker

Post by Forum_Lurker »

I'm just completely guessing here, but I think it wasn't so much a friendly "You can find all the help you need here", and more of a "You're creating a new thread when you should be posting in an existing one" type of message...

Anyway, I'm trying to fold the bug as we speak, maybe I can help in the near future, or maybe i'll be asking questions, who knows...
Forum_Lurker

Post by Forum_Lurker »

Life is Origami wrote:Thanks all for the replies! From what I learned, size, thickness, and type of paper is very important Robert Lang when he folds. His pictures are just amazing. I hate to drastically change the topic but I have gone through some good double tissue paper folding the samurai helmet beetle and failed on step 56. Pictures showing how to do it can help. Lang's models is so good but they are hard for me to finish without a good supply of paper. Please help me on step 59.
Hmmm i just went past that step, it seems fairly straight-forward, maybe you've folded something wrong?? Did your step 45 end up anything like the diagram??

I'll see if I can finish the model, and if i can, I'll go back and take some photos for you.
Life is Origami

You know what, somehow step 45 confused me too. I spread the layers symmetrically except for that odd layer which went to the left side. Near the top, I squashed the two layers, allowing the model to be flat. I wish I could take pictures but I'm still trying learn how to do that. I guess pictures of both step 45 and 56 would be helpful. Thanks for the help.
Life is Origami

I have just figured it out. Step 45 and 56 are related. I feel so stupid that I didn't figure it out sooner. Origami Insects II was just really inaccurate when they provided instructions for step 46. Forum_Lurker, I think you should post the pictures anyway would help a great deal of folders. I going to finish this model right now.