Help for Newbie using Harbin's Secrets of Origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
zenquaker

Help for Newbie using Harbin's Secrets of Origami

Post by zenquaker »

Hi! I've been folding for about a month, initially just following instructions online. I thought I was ready for the Harbin book, because I had made about 50 models and know the basic bases. I read so many wonderful things about the Harbin book so decided to buy it.

I am having so much trouble with it. I can do the very simple models, but for anything beyond that I am having difficulty translating his instructions and diagrams. In particular, I have tried the Bird of Paradise many times unsuccessfully. I have checked and rechecked that I am doing the frog base corrected. And yet when I do the Mountain fold in step two, I find that the flaps I am supposed to squash fold on either side are connected instead of separated. I am flummoxed.

Does anyone have tips for the Hardin book? I don't want to quit but I am really frustrated.

Thank you.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Help for Newbie using Harbin's Secrets of Origami

Post by origami_8 »

The bird of paradise starts with a fish base and not with a frog base.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Hi zenquaker

Just to let you know that what you're going through is a very common situation for beginners. Learning how to interpret diagrams is part of the process. so don't give up.
zenquaker

Post by zenquaker »

Ah, yes--I mistyped. It is the fish base. Interestingly, I came across another diagram later in the same book that uses the fish base but uses a different technique than the one in the first section, and it came out right.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep with it!