Should origami not be rushed, but enjoyed at ease ?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Rick Nordal

Post by Rick Nordal »

Hi all !

My game forces a player to ' speed fold '.

Rick Nordal - http://ricknordalartwork.blogspot.ca/
gordigami

Re: Should origami not be rushed, but enjoyed at ease ?

Post by gordigami »

I respectfully suspect that Rick has posed this question , to some extent, in order to bring attention to his personal project of " origami games", ie. the snowflake game and others.
Briefly, I was amazed at the huge, labor intensive effort and ingenious design that he put into the development of his game.
Really quite comprehensive, interesting, and extensive .
Alas, however, while any origami folder may benefit from some measure of trying permutations of a grid, I have to speculate that the " achievement" of fast folding might appeal to only a small sector of the origami population .
The emphasis of speed , rather than quality, might have a place in origami, but perhaps, a limited one .

Personally, I am attracted to, and governed by, basic rules:
1. Neatness - Keep the paper clean by washing your hands before folding, in order to not contaminate the paper with smudges, oils or disfigurations of any sort.
2. Respect - Avoid wrinkled paper as well as rough, unseemly edges. Don't " overwork " the paper.
3. Time - The model will dictate how much time it will take. The ultimate quality of the model might well reflect the measure of patience that one devotes to the execution of the model .
4. Quality - You are endeavoring to represent a centuries old art form. Throw away any completed models that don't adequately compliment the art form. Learn from your mistakes. Retry anew until the completed model is of a high level of quality.
5. Enjoy - I believe that the process of origami is to be a source of enjoyment, not a contest, nor some sort of quest for fame and bravado.

The transmutation of a flat sheet of paper into an appealing, high quality structural form should be the prime reward .
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .