Storage solutions for origami paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origamipapermonster

Storage solutions for origami paper

Post by origamipapermonster »

Hi everyone. I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules and if so, I'm very sorry and please delete. I'm currently working with an engineer designer to develop different storage solutions for origami paper. The first one we designed was and have received good feedback so far: http://www.origamipapermonster.com/larg ... rage-rack/
Are there any other products folders are looking for? Or do you have feedback on the existing storage rack. If there is something you're looking for, i'll be happy to look into it with the designer. Sky's the limit. Thanks in advance!
www.origamipapermonster.com - Canada and USA's online origami paper store
gordigami

Re: Storage solutions for origami paper

Post by gordigami »

The tissue paper vertical rack is a great idea .
We have seen art supply stores use these racks, of varying design, for their displays. ( Dick Blick & others)
If you have a choice, a larger diameter dowel would be better than a smaller one.
There is a need for an overall cover, of some sort, to prevent dust from accumulating , as well as fading of the paper.

In general, paper storage is an ongoing journey of unremitting duration , not a one-serves-all destination.

I have racks, compartment cabinets for rolls, compartment cabinets for flat sheets, ArtBin super satchel plastic cases, modified cardboard boxes of all sizes, paper tubes of all sizes, and long plastic tubes for roll paper, and finally, I make my own paper holding boxes from 5 foot sheets of high mil. plastic, for containers of all sizes.
Organization is an ongoing enterprise .
Again, one needs to prevent excessive drying out, wrinkling, dust , sun damage or fading, in addition to being readily accessible .
Overall, only time, experience, significant outlay of $, and trial & error will ultimately bring you to the systems which will house all your different types of paper .

Ultimately, one needs to dedicate a separate room, or large portion thereof, for the paper of an enthusiastic folder...
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
origamipapermonster

Post by origamipapermonster »

Thank you for your feedback. That is a great idea, the cover. I haven't seen that in the stores so I didn't even think about it but it makes so much sense. Will look into it!
I wonder if people would want custom sizing too given that everyone's needs are different. We only sell this in two sizes currently, mostly to fit the 25 in by 37 in papers.
www.origamipapermonster.com - Canada and USA's online origami paper store
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

Your offering of a rack for 25 by 37 would seem to work for tissue, unryu, lotka and others.

A cover , of cloth or opaque plastic , could easily be adapted to hang from a top rung . Or it may be offered as an option.
Another potential option might be two simple hanger - hooks , so that the rack might be hung from a horizontal closet rod , in a closet .
I would not be surprised if some folks might wish to hang the rack from behind a door, as well .

By the way, I only mentioned the various paper containers as context of the widely varied paper sizes that most people generally need to store .
My favorite, at the moment, would be the Art Bin super satchel compartments for 12 " and smaller papers.
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Forum_Lurker

Post by Forum_Lurker »

Here's a thought for storing paper squares, either make some boxes of different sizes, that can be somehow hooked onto the rack, or place some clips on the horizontal rods where you'll normally drape the tissue paper, so you can clip whatever size paper onto it.

In fact... you know what? I think I'll just make one of those for myself. Can't be that hard!