How Do You Judge A Model?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

How Do You Judge A Model?

Post by Baltorigamist »

I was just wondering what qualities you look for in a favorite model. In other words, what does a model have to have in order for you to like it?
Examples could include color change, amount of detail, complexity, etc.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Re: How Do You Judge A Model?

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

for me, the most important aspects of an origami model are as follows-
1- the fun factor. this is the biggest thing for me, as i fold origami because it is fun and relaxing, if it wasn't fun to do, i wouldn't be doing it
2- neatness. this is why i favor 22.5 models over all else, and absolutely loathe treemaker designs. i don't want to spend hours trying to find obscure reference points and then connecting them with randomly angled creases, and then have all of the layers sticking out because they don't line up.
3- creativity and ingenuity in the structure. when i fold a model, i want to feel as though im folding that model from the get go. i don't want to fold out a blintzed frog base then awkwardly distribute the points to forecfully make what i am trying to, i want to have a base that is creatively and ingeniously tailored for that one specific model.
honestly, i don't even end up showing about 90% of my finished models to anybody really, so the end result isn't exactly high up on my list, though, it is still important.
OrigamiSwan

Post by OrigamiSwan »

The folding sequence is the main aspect for me. I like models that have interesting or fun folding sequences, with a nice result in the end. This is why Hideo Komatsu is one of my favorite designers.
topsu

Post by topsu »

A model can be great for a number of different reasons. I don't think a great looking model has to be elegant design-wise - on the other hand, a cleverly designed model doesn't have to look amazing either.
If I really had to, I would choose appearance over design or anything else though. I guess I just enjoy looking at pretty things. As much as I like models with fun folding sequences, I usually get the greatest feeling of accomplishment from the end result.
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

It is nice to see that most of the replies to this post have focused on folding sequence (yes, a small sample size). I certainly appreciate amazing looking pieces that I know I would never have the patience to fold. Two pieces that fall into that category would be Jason Ku's Bicycle and Satoshi Kamiya's Ryujin. Both have way too many folds for me to set aside the time to fold them, but the brilliant symmetries/structures employed goes beyond just what the end result is and are nonetheless part of the folding sequence. Along those lines, I appreciate models that are not obvious in structure. Other things that stand out to me are clever realizations of features. In the 1970's an animal head was often just an out side reverse fold with a crimp or two. The first time that appeared must have been revolutionary, but now it is a little boring to see. I am not necessarily impressed by complexity - creative and effective approaches usually catch my eye more.
Acorn Man

Post by Acorn Man »

An action model with a cool, creative action is always intreaging to me. I also like it when the models are nice and clean. I also enjoy nice folding, as that's my favorite part. I like repetition, which is weird, I'm usually not that way. I suppose in the end, the thing I like best is a good subject. That's why I like Jeremy shafer so much. His stuff is always so creative. I just realized that my list I includes most origami, so sort of a pointless post. Thanks for a good thread!
I finally got it to say something under my posts!