Teaching Design Techniques

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

Teaching Design Techniques

Post by Baltorigamist »

Recently I've started taking someone under my wing as far as teaching him how to design. I decided to start with basic box-pleating packings, but I haven't had much luck so far.
Does anyone have suggestions? I know origami design is something really difficult to teach.

So far I've relayed part of what's in ODS, and I honestly don't really trust the person with my copy. But he's showed interest in learning designing, so I decided to try to teach him.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Brimstone
Buddha

Re: Teaching Design Techniques

Post by Brimstone »

I've always have heard that the first technique to start designing your own models is the modification of an existing model, you know a more detailed tail, an extra feature on the head, etc.

Maybe you could try that with your pupil.
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

Teaching design techniques is a great way to come to terms with your own understanding of how to go about that. I would focus on the techniques that you are most comfortable, whatever those might be. Rather than going through a one-size-fits-all generic algorithm, I would work with real-world scenarios. What would your student like to design? Work with that subject, and guide him as you would approach it.

As for box-pleating, I still appreciate that I was able to cut my teeth with that approach. It felt like the origami equivalent of piecing together Legos. I could simply divide my square into many divisions, and start extracting appendages. Although the results did not lead to fun origami designs, it helped with my visualization to how to distribute appendages effectively. To this day, I sometimes will start with a box-pleated form as a prototype, and shift the folds into something more geometrically interesting.

There is certainly a lot to this subject - hope I can help.

- Marc
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

He specifically asked me how to design bugs, so that's why I started with BP techniques. I'm not sure he understands the concept of packings, though. But thanks for the help.
I guess it's frustrating me because those concepts came easily to me, and they don't to him.

I'm also trying to teach him to fold accurately, which he's had a hard time with. Maybe that will solve most of the issues I'm having.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

A great analogy for packings is a suitcase. Your collection of appendages are the items that you are packing into your suitcase, which of course represents your square. You need to pick a suitcase that is just large enough to contain those appendages. If it seems a bit too roomy, then you have a bit of inefficiency. I wish origami were that easy...
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks again for the help. His biggest problem seems to be folding accurately at this point, as well as a degree of laziness, i.e., unwillingness to collapse CPs.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr