New to origami and need some tips :)

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Stefan1991

New to origami and need some tips :)

Post by Stefan1991 »

Hi all, I started a new youtube channel about folding origami :)
For me it's actually a way to force myself to learn more origami models if I want to be able to upload a new video every week, since I only knew a few things right now.
This is my first tutorial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDI1WWRIoKU about how to fold a paper crane, and I was wondering whether anyone has tips or ideas to improve my future video's?
origamifan11

Re: New to origami and need some tips :)

Post by origamifan11 »

Some tips: Watch other origami-Youtubers and try to figure out what makes them so popular. E.g. Jonakashima has diagrams in the top right corner, Tadashimori speaks while doing his tutorial and explains harder steps clearly. Another tip would be fold on a flat surface, not in the air (unless shaping the model). Not only does it make your folds neater but also more clear to the audience watching the video. Good luck with future tutorials!
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
Stefan1991

Post by Stefan1991 »

Thanks for your tips! I will try to work on these things and think of something new and unique :)
Today I got the crazy idea to make a huge paper crane:

It's not perfect, folding with 48 sheets of A4 paper was more difficult than I thought), but with some helps of the cats I got able to fold a crane out of it.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Wow in only one hour! I really liked the part where your cat tried too jump in the giant flap and you had to toss him. Hilarious!
BlueFireOrigami

Post by BlueFireOrigami »

Haha at 1:04 the cat did some serious wrecking. This has got to be the best time lapse origami video. It was a great idea to put a clock in the corner to show us the time. Your videos are pretty much faultless to me!

Regards,

Blue
For free internet diagrams for Satoshi Kamiya's Ancient Dragon,
click the link: http://goo.gl/Y8SxM
Froy

Post by Froy »

Stefan1991 wrote: it's actually a way to force myself to learn more origami models if I want to be able to upload a new video every week,
Nopity nopity nope.

Don't ever do this. Do not force your self to anything. The results won't be anyway near good. Take your time and don't set a time to finish your projects. "One video a week" But what if what you are uploading "something" or just some random stuff just because you run out of time?

Take your time. You won't regret it.
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I left a comment on your video, but I'll leave some further feedback here.
Your editing is awesome. Great work. For the most part, your videos are easy to understand.
You do need to work on a few things, though. First of all, you need to talk! It makes videos *that* much more interesting if you have some sort of commentary. If you have a story to tell, tell a story. Narrate what you are doing. Maybe, have music playing in the background. And you don't have to talk the whole time, either.
Another thing I noticed was your folding accuracy wasn't that great, which is fine with simpler models, but would be detrimental in a more complex one. Try to work on that, really all it takes is taking your time.
And now for some video suggestions. Don't know where you are in the food chain of origami, but try doing some tutorials for stuff like making double tissue, tissue foil, or maybe even your own paper if your into that type of thing. Post videos of your other hobbies, maybe.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Stefan1991

Post by Stefan1991 »

Thanks for all the replies! I'm definitely going to try to work on my folding accurancy. Especially in my first video of the crane I had also some trouble with getting used with folding while having to make sure to stay in the view of the camera. I've to find a way to make that easier at first, since I wanted to keep my tripod out of the view, and still have a background without stuff.

Right now I'm also busy with folding a 1000 paper cranes. That might also help a lot :)

I also like the idea of making tutorials about more things than just models. I've to learn things thoroughly though before making tutorials about things. With another tutorial about folding an heart I already had some trouble with remembering all the steps and had to look constantly on the folding instructions while making the tutorial (although you can't see that in the video itself).

I also am thinking about modular origami. There are some really cool things that are made that way. And it's still actually kind of simple with just a lot of work :)