Hi, I'm new, and in need of some guidance

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Paper fionn

Hi, I'm new, and in need of some guidance

Post by Paper fionn »

Hi, I'm new here so I appologise if I post this in the wrong section.

I had just written this out in full when my computer crashed and wiped it all, so this time I'll try get straight to the point.

I'm relatively new to origami, ive always loved it but never really tried it properlly, but in the last six months ive become quite addicted.

Using both YouTube videos and authentic diagrams, I have very quickly progressed to complex models such as Kade Chans fiery dragon, and his T-rex, I can gladly say I only used the diagrams for the dragon :)

So the other day I foolishly atempted Sotashi Kamiyas ancient dragon, I used my homemade red and black tissue foil (it was gonna look great) but after many tries i gave up, all the sheets of paper i used just got mashed up and unworkable. Then it dawned on me that I'd really only touched on the intermediate models, and not really built up my skills in folding.

I don't really know how to finish this, but basically im stuck, I want to be ambitious, but I want to be technically very accurate too, so simpler models are needed, but ones that will at least be nice to look at.

If this makes any sense, I would greatly appreciate any advice on where I should be looking for diagrams and exciting models at an intermediate level. Or maybe store bing to complex if you guys think it's appropriate.

Oh and ps, any tips on keeping my paper crisp instead of it turning to mush after a solid few hours of folding.

Cheers, fionn
OrigamiSwan

Re: Hi, I'm new, and in need of some guidance

Post by OrigamiSwan »

It is not a good idea to jump from a simple model to a complex model, especially when you aren't experienced with reading diagrams.
My advise is to continue folding simpler models, and work on accuracy before trying a Kamiya model.
However, if you are insistent on folding a complex dragon, then I would go with Tadashimori's darkness dragon (version 1). You can find a tutorial for it on his youtube page. It is structurally similar to the ancient dragon, but much less complicated to fold.
good luck,
Justin
Paper fionn

Post by Paper fionn »

Thanks for the reply, and nah I'm not insistent on folding a complex dragon, I just was so inspired by seeing all the complicated models that I just had to give it a try, I actually was really disheartened afterwards. Serves me right heheh.
Ive been looking online for diagrams, and although there is some occasional here and there, im yet unable to find a hub with many of all standards that I can sit and fold, I don't know if such a thing exists but maybe someone here might :)
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

This (oldish) website may help you, if you don't know it yet. You'l find quite a lot of not so complex models, so perhaps it can help you?