What To Sell

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

What To Sell

Post by Baltorigamist »

So I'm planning on selling some of my models at a craft show in a couple weeks, and I was wondering which models you think would sell best. I'm thinking around $10-30 per model, depending on size and complexity.

Here's a list of models that I'll be selling:
Dragon
Unicorn
Alicorn
Pegasus
Giraffe
Boston Terrier
Husky
Reindeer
Butterfly
Hermit Crab

Any other models of mine that you think I should add? (All models are my own design, so there won't be any copyright issues.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Re: What To Sell

Post by Mir Numaan »

i like your giraffe design, looks really great :). Also, i think you should include this one
https://www.flickr.com/photos/baltofolder/12375205155/
its your best insect design, in my opinion.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I guess that the butterfly and the Lily will probably sell well.
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

A couple of semi-helpful observations :
You'll have a somewhat better idea of what sells , after the craft sale, instead of before. Keep records, and ask folks what exactly would they be willing to pay good money for , in the future .
Try to be a bit topical . Sell Christmas models around Christmas, Halloween models around Halloween , Easter models around Easter etc.
Observe the " Artist Law " . Fold whatever you like on your own time. But, when it is for money, fold what other people like .
The two concepts are oftentimes disparate .
Try to get a feel for your customer base.
Remind all folks how great origami models make as " gifts ", Stocking stuffer's or a present decoration .

Younger folks " love" insects, but freeze up when digging into their meager wallets .
Most folks don't appreciate the time, effort and talent that it takes to produce, diagram and fold a complex insect. To them, it's a "bug " , with limited correlation of $ worth to actual value.

You'll probably sell more Pokeman & " Hello kitty" sort of models than complex ones.
Again, artists are fated to make piles of mundane art pieces ( that will sell ) , so that they may someday support their habit of creating those rare special pieces .
Finally, if there is a copywritten popular model, that sells , maybe a mutually beneficial agreement may be worked out with the copyright holder !
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I had actually forgotten about my Lily model, and I'll probably offer the Euthysanius Beetle as well. Each model can be folded comfortably from a 10" square, so it'll be easy to be consistent with pricing.

Here's what I'm planning to do, as suggested by someone:
I'm gonna fold one of each model for sale and have them displayed according to price. Then when someone offers to buy one, instead of selling the actual model, I'll take an order for it (along with their name and phone number, etc.). Then I'll do my best to fill out all the orders before Christmas.

Sound like a plan?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
OrigamiSwan

Post by OrigamiSwan »

I would include the crease patterns next to the models, because people generally don't appreciate an intricate model unless they know the difficult process it takes to make one.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

That's a good idea. I think I'll try it depending on how much space I have. Thanks!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr