advices to design

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Kundalini

advices to design

Post by Kundalini »

Hi :D
I have been folding since child, i have read ODS, first edition, and i am reading the second one. i felt ready to start designing.

I have decide to start with my own design, can you tell me about you own process of creation? Advices are wellcome.
Baltorigamist

Re: advices to design

Post by Baltorigamist »

Everything depends on what you want to design, because that essentially dictates how you should approach that particular model. For example, an insect would take a very different approach from a dog, which would be very different from a flower.
There are countless topics on designing. Maybe look through those and see if you can find any useful information.

Personally, I choose the design method based on what I want to design (as I said earlier). For an insect or other arthropod, I use box-pleating, whereas for a mammal, I'll use 22.5deg structure. Experience has taught me what subbases and grid sizes to use for certain structures and proportions, so don't expect that to come very quickly.
An origamist's first designs are frequently modifications of existing designs, as Lang stated in ODS. So maybe try to add a graft to a frog base--this is only an example--and play with the resulting form for a while. 22.5deg bases are the easiest to experiment with, in my opinion, because most of the structures are relatively simple. If you fold a lot of 22.5deg models, you'll soon realize that many of them start with a few simple reference points. Start with those, maybe, and see what symmetries you can come up with.

If you need more help understanding how designing works, I'm sure many of us will be happy to oblige.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

it took me years to finish the book, i have patience. If i try again and again in some point i should be able to get the result i am looking for.

I would like to express my own way to see the world with a piece of paper.

i am trying box pleating (i am trying to do a woman), i am using a pencil, ruler and erase.
valerite

Post by valerite »

A quick look around for topics, and I found these. I haven't looked into them so they might not be useful to you, But anyway here are the links

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12344

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12258

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11791

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10375

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11124

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10891

one of those is just a list of thiings you cold fold i'm pretty sure
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

Awesome!!! You are an excelent origami forum, thanks and keep posting. It's hard to find help where i live.

Of course i will read them.