Origami Desplay

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Origami Desplay

Post by OrigamiGeek »

Hay origami community!

I am very sad to say that I have not folded much lately because I was moveing, I have just been setteling down in my new house and I got a call form my locial libary saying that they would like to desplay my origami for two months (January-Febuary) there are little gidelines, only that I must make about 8 pices and they must be able to hang on a wall. I got home and thought about it for a bit. I have some questions which I would like answered quickly because I do not have a lot of time.

Question 1.
What would be the best way to hang a piece from the wall? (It has to be hung on the side of the wall and have some waight so that is doesn't blow in the wind.)
A thought I had was to frame the pieces in picture frames with some depth in them.

Question 2.
If I desided to frame the origami what should the background be?
should I have the background the creasepattern, or a colour (like white, or red, or some other colour)

Question 3.
What kind of theme should I make for the desplay?

That is all I can think of for now I will get back to you later
PLEASE wright soon!
all the best
OrigamiGeek
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
HankSimon
Buddha

Re: Origami Desplay

Post by HankSimon »

1. For hanging, go to Home Depot or Wal-Mart, or the like, and ask about Command picture hangers. It is a type of temporary velcro/double-sided tape, that may be what you are looking for.

2. If you use a background in the frame, Black for light models and White for dark models will frequently work. However, if you want to add a little style, look to use complementary colors ... for example, Red on a green background, Yellow on a purple background. You may want to change the value of the background to be darker or lighter than the model, depending on taste.

3. No one can tell you theme, without mode info. Where are you, what can you fold, what do you like to fold, what are interesting local 'themes'? Of course, right now, Christmas is an easy choice. But, in February, you might do Spring, with flowers, birds, butterflies, and lots of color ... unless you live in a very cold region where it can snow into April and May...

4. You can also take photos of objects, and couple the photos with corresponding origami models. Or simply make 5 - 20 models that highlight your expertise. The more detailed the model, the fewer the number of models. Also, if there is lots of detail or color change, you might fold 'two' models each, unfolding the less precise model to display as the 'crease pattern' to demonstrate the complexity and the use of only one sheet of paper.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

Thank you so much man!
I think that your sugestions are very good and I will take them into account.
I live in a very cold place although I think that I will probabbly do kindof a worm theme because by January and Febuary people are already wanting summer, I just don't get it.

I am still looking for others opinions so please post away!!!
Origamigeek
BlueFireOrigami

Post by BlueFireOrigami »

You can try folding some fancy model stands if you want. Diagrams were on origami.com (I know it was taken down but you should be able to find them on the internet)
For free internet diagrams for Satoshi Kamiya's Ancient Dragon,
click the link: http://goo.gl/Y8SxM
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

If any of the subjects are flat, regular picture frames can be found at places like Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, etc (thrift shops) for around a $1. In know that I have a couple of pieces of origami framed in my house and this worked fine.
One was some of Kamiya's Japanese Maple Leaves that I used a piece of mango paper for
http://www.mulberrypaperandmore.com/p-5 ... tural.aspx

The other is an 8-bit Mario (as in Super Mario Bros.) made from 244 of Max Hulme's Pixel Units. No background for this one as the background is part of the assembly of pixel units.
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

You could use https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielbrown/6778525914 (a link to the crease pattern is listed in the description) as a shelf to hold smaller models.I did something a bit similar with

which is a tessellation from Eric Gjerde.

I've also come up with my own shelf, though perhaps it is similar to the first shelf:

As for good wall-hanging models, tessellations can be nice. I also really like Peter Engel's eight-pointed star and the Mobona koi seems to be popular. Both of those strike me as intermediate models as far as folding complexity.

Just in case you're looking for something less common, I did devise a fractal pattern. Here's a not very good picture:

I have the crease pattern if you're interested ;-)

Best of luck!
EVERYTHING MUST BE MADE OF PAPER!
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

Cool thank you, but I have to design my own models becaue of coppywright and crap like that. ;( but I would Love a cp to that any ways I would like to try it out
Cadix

Post by Cadix »

@OrigamiGeek

Here you go, one fractal crease pattern :-)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yiuirhkix28aj ... l.pdf?dl=1
EVERYTHING MUST BE MADE OF PAPER!
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

Thank you all for the suggestions!
I have just braught my desplay to the libary! I will post picts soon, but they are not too good :(
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

Hear are the picts of what Is in my desplay. and thank you all for your sugestions!