Translate, origami, wiki(es)

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Kundalini

Translate, origami, wiki(es)

Post by Kundalini »

Hi :D
I am interested in improve the article in wikipedia in spanish about origami (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origami#T. ... ise.C3.B1o). But i have problems with translations maybe in this forum i can find the help i had been seeking in wikipedia since 2 years.

the words are:
splitting points (División de puntos, division por puntos?)
grafting (injerto)
pattern Grafting (injerto de patrones)
tiling (mosaico)
Circle packing (empaquetamiento de circulos)
molecules (moleculas)
tree theory (teoría del árbol)
Box pleating (plegado en caja?)
Hex pleating (plegado en hexagono)

Advices are wellcome, feel free to be critic. I have hope you can help me (ODS is avalaible only in english).
ginshun

Re: Translate, origami, wiki(es)

Post by ginshun »

Unfortunately, most of those terms are from ODS, and have entire chapters explaining them. It is going to be very difficult to explain them in any sort of short explanation. I will try where I can though...

Slitting points is basically taking one long point or flap and splitting it into two shorter ones through one of a few different folding sequences

Grafting is sort of taking a CP and stretching or splitting it along the major lines and adding or "grafting the paper in where you make the split. Lang describes it like as if you were to actually cut the paper and tape the extra paper in between the cuts. Obviously you dont do this, but the crease pattern is the same as if you would have.

Tiling I dont remember.

Pattern grafting is folding a pattern into the paper and then folding it into the thing that you want the pattern on. This is how people get scales on their fish or dragons

Circle packing is a design method where the circles are drawn on the paper and each of the circles encloses the paper that goes into each flap. Lots of Lang`s insects are designed this way. You can probably find CPs that have the circles on them for examples.

Molecules are certain shpes that occur regularly when designing circle packed designs. If you recognize them, they can make folding the CP easier. That is not a good explanation, but its some thing to that effect.

Box pleating is a way of designing that most of the folds are on a square grid on the paper.
Hex pleating is the same only the folds are mostly on a hexagonal grid pattern.

Tree theory is a way to plan out your design, before you actually draw up the CP. It works with alongside any of the other design techniqes. It kind of like doing an outline before writing a paper.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Some of your questions have already been answered at: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6588
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

Sorry this is embarrasing i will try to comunicate the idea again.

I am trying to do a good translation of terms or words from english to spanish, so i thought maybe in this forum some guy is a spanish speaker (like me) who could suggest a better translation in spanish of some of the terms on the list....[emoji29]