Making A Book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Red

Making A Book

Post by Red »

Howdy.

To preface this post, I've been folding origami for the past 10 or so years, and I've really gotten a liking for origami tessellations. I have created a few of my own I would like to diagram and release in a book in the not-too-distant future. But, I have no experience in "writing" or publishing.

I have some questions that I would appreciate answers on, if possible.

How would diagrams be best represented for tessellations? I feel as if as though instructions would be clearer with professional photographs of the model's steps, rather than computer-illustrated diagrams, but the only examples I have to base this argument on are those included in Eric Gjerde's book, and some Tanteidan publications.

How would I arrange the book? Given the arrangement of the photographs (if that method of diagramming is chosen), amongst other elements of the page, how would I keep every single page consistent with one another?

What program would be useful for the previous questions purpose of arrangement?

And, finally, is there any origami "etiquette" I need to know of? I have read of and understand the basic methods of folding, and the "terminology" denoted of them, but how would the question apply to photo diagrams?

Thanks,

Red.
OrigamiSwan

Re: Making A Book

Post by OrigamiSwan »

I think jumping into a book isn't always a good idea. I would first try submitting some of your models to a Tanteidan Convention book, or OUSA convention book. That would get you some recognition before you decided to publish a whole book. :)
Red

Post by Red »

Thank you, but that still begs the question of how I should arrange the diagram, and what program I should use to do so.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

If serious, you might contact Nicolas Terry via http://www.passion-origami.com/. He has worked with other Origami authors. He can help with your questions.

Things to consider:
1. Publishing a book is much more work than designing models and can take a year to pull everything together, if you're experienced. More, if not.
2. Origami is a rarified market. I don't think you can expect to sell more than a few hundred books, if even that many ... It's not a profitable activity for most people.
3. You will get practice with writing clear instructions, as well as re-shooting photos.
4. You want two - three times as many diagrams as you plan to publish, so that you can pick the best for the book. And, you want to KNOW what Lang, Gjerde, and others have done, so that you don't publish models that are close to theirs ... shooting for new, interesting, and unique approaches. "Why would I buy your book, if Lang described your models in his book, and I can use those descriptions?"
5. A full hardcopy book may be more than you want to tackle at this point. You might also consider publishing just a few models, one at a time, to test the market. A few people on the Forum have done this, and may have suggestions.

Regardless of your decision, there is nothing like the feeling of holding your first publication in your hand, and giving a few to friends/family ... who may not know Origami, but will appreciate that you are a published author.
Red

Post by Red »

Thank you, HankSimon.

This isn't my first publication, but it would be my more serious attempt at it. Long story, I don't want to share details.

I am not looking to make a book to make money. I realise the state of the market is limited to 10% of people on this site (being generous, also a wild assumption), if that.

I check sources constantly, I am aware of who "owns" what design. Thank you for the heads up, nonetheless.

I had planned from the start to publish the book via a digital format. My reasons are my own, and again, my reasoning for doing this is long-winded and confusing.

"Test the market"? Releasing some models for free, to see how the public reacts to the diagrams? If so, that would be a great idea to get some criticism on said diagrams.

Thank you, HankSimon. Are you a published author?