Test folders

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
nathan nash

Test folders

Post by nathan nash »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to test fold and offer helpful criticism

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5V8Hp ... nRmWFRlbkk

Thanks
RK - The_Creator

Re: Test folders

Post by RK - The_Creator »

Hey nathan nash,
I tried to make your model and failed :/ -step 29 was too unclear

Anyways, here are the things I think would improve your Diagramm:
1) Lines with dots and dashes for every fold, for me those are even more important than the arrows.
2) Using different lines for paper edges and creases, maybe for the creases gray color or just thinner lines.
3) A different color to indicate which side is being folded on, steps 1-2 are certainly missing that...idk for the rest of the model.
(4)less important, some aesthetics like:
  • - Using the same way of diagramming (same lines and arrows) throughout the whole diagram.
    - I myself always like it if a diagramm has more text instruction, but that is an personal preference, with the right arrow and lines it is possible to fold without any written instructions.
    - Maybe some general information about model, artist and an image of finished model on top of all pages.
usefull link :wink: viewtopic.php?t=4884
RK - The_Creator

Post by RK - The_Creator »

and one more thing...I think steps 5-6 are diagrammed incorrectly
nathan nash

Post by nathan nash »

nathan nash

Post by nathan nash »

The new and improved version is here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5V8Hp ... sp=sharing.
All feedback welcome.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

I will be moderately picky:

Step 2 doesn't say to repeat on the other side. Nor does step 3.
Step 7 and 8 show valley folds so that you should really end up with the picture for step 10 (but coloured), but then step 9 implies that step 7 should have shown mountain folds.
Step 11 doesn't show to unfold the flaps you just folded.
Steps 14-18 don't show precreases (the double arrow like symbol common in diagrams).
Step 27 is upside down compared to step 26.
Despite no fold being made in 30, 31 is different from it.
You should also mention the folding of the arms that magically crease and flatten themselves in step 31, despite being told the model will not lay flat.
Step 40 is magically different despite no folds made in 39.

Of course there are many things you can improve on. Making sure it is obvious what is a crease and what is an edge/flap is one thing. Another is just general use of symbols. You should draw diagrams so that it is obvious to someone who doesn't read words. That is, you should diagram using the popular symbols used in all the popular origami books.

Anyways, I like the antennae of the robot. It is pretty cute. Here is a picture (because I generally like it when people fold my models, I hope you appreciate it, too):

nathan nash

Post by nathan nash »

Thanks for all of the feedback, I have added in all of the corrections. In step seven I found the creases to be correct, so maybe you just read them wrong.
It now seems to me to be up to scratch, and as its only my first diagram hopefully I'll improve in the future.

Updated version here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5V8Hp ... sp=sharing

Thanks for folding, roughly what difficulty level would you give it.

Great folding, love the expression on the face
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

nathan nash wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback, I have added in all of the corrections. In step seven I found the creases to be correct, so maybe you just read them wrong.
Oh yes sorry, because of the lightness of the lines (why are they greyish and not black?) I didn't see the characteristic dots of the mountain fold.
nathan nash wrote:Thanks for folding, roughly what difficulty level would you give it.
Intermediate.
nathan nash

Post by nathan nash »

Yes, sorry about that I have now changed all creases to be made to red.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5V8Hp ... sp=sharing