Cataloging origami maneuvers

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Foldtastic

Cataloging origami maneuvers

Post by Foldtastic »

edit: see post a few down about coming up with a better way to classify folding maneuvers

Does anyone know of a more complete list of some less common origami manuvers?

In flat folding, here are the common ones: mountain, valley, reverse, rabbit ear, petal, crimp, unsink, opensink, closed sink, part open/part closed sink, twist fold.

Edit: I forgot about stretch folds, swivel folds, unwrap layer
Last edited by Foldtastic on February 14th, 2015, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Re: Cataloging origami maneuvers

Post by OrigamiGeek »

double rabbit ear, spread sink, and mixed sink
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
Jeffery Mewtamer

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I haven't heard of half of these. A brief description of each along with directions on how to execute would probably be more useful than just listing their common names. Sadly, the one's I'm familiar with I know on that intuitive level where you have difficulty explaining it to others without showing them(and diagrams are too visual for me to work with from either side).
Just so you know, I'm blind.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Accordion fold - alternate mountain and valley folds

blow/inflate - to inflate by blowing into, such as the water bomb or frog

color change - a specific type of wrap or unwrap

Elias stretch - difficult w/on pictures, similar to a bird base stretch

open out - similar to a pull out flap

pull out flap - similar to freeing up paper that is tucked inside

inside/outside reverse - difficult w/o pictures, inside: makes the lower part smaller inside upper part
outside: wraps the lower paper outside of the upper part
tuck in - opposite of a pull in flap, pushing/folding the flap inside ... as indicated by diagram
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

Inside outside reverse is the same thing as a crimp, right? Or are you describing something different?
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Not both. Each one separately, b/c an inside reverse fold has a very different function than an outside reverse fold .... just like a closed sink is different from an open sink.
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

Slightly obscure is the "closed reverse fold." I think I have a few pieces that utilize it. - Marc
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

What we really need is a better classification scheme/ontology for folding maneuvers. This is something we could collaborate on. Does anyone know if one already exists?

Let me try to get it started. I propose the following classification for flat foldable origami maneuvers:

1) A "simple folding maneuver" is one that can not be executed by a series of other simple folding maneuvers such that the paper is flat foldable in between each of those folding maneuvers. Example: an inside reverse fold is a "Simple folding maneuver".

2) A "compound folding maneuver" is a folding maneuver that be executed by a series of other simple folding maneuvers such that the paper is flat foldable in between each of those folding maneuvers. Example: a preliminary fold can be executed as two separate reverse folds and the model if flat foldable in between.

The rabbit ear also is a a complex folding maneuver, because it can be folded by first folding a valley fold (bisecting a corner of the triangle) into a flat folded form. Then a swivel fold can be performed, resulting in the rabbit ear.