Getting Your Name "Out There"

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

Getting Your Name "Out There"

Post by Baltorigamist »

Any advice for becoming more well-known? I've gotten a few commissions recently, but I'm talking more about how to get published in a book or magazine such as Tanteidan. I feel like I'm a proficient enough designer to be published, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Is it as simple as submitting a model?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
HankSimon
Buddha

Re: Getting Your Name "Out There"

Post by HankSimon »

Yes! That's all it takes. Submit your work to all the conventions and magazines that interest you. Be humble and gracious for any acknowledgment, feedback, and criticism. But, Quality is more important than complexity. At least at first. You want a model that is high quality, to highlight your attention to detail as an Artist. And, photographs will reflect that attention to detail. Finally, diagrams should be simple and clear, accessible to as many folders as is practicable.

You can also give back, by giving free presentations and lessons at local libraries, museums, and schools.

If you have a particularly interesting model, unique to you, then you can contact Origami Conventions and offer to teach it in a session. That will help spread your fame. Regardless, if you go to conventions, go around and ask other people about their families, background, models, and style. When you show interest in other people, your name spreads faster.

Then, you have to ask the question: Why do you want the fame?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i'm not well known and don't know anything about it, per se, but my own recommendation would be it's past time to upgrade your paper and your photo skills. right now, your flickr gallery is like mine--not very attractive.

i only say all of this as someone who held off from tissue foil for a long time for really, no good reason (well, the reasons were pretty good). i notice you use a lot of japanese foil. use it to make tissue foil. you will notice an immediate difference in the appearance of your models. for instance, i think your plague doctor is quite clever, but with the current medium, i think it's hard for viewers to appreciate it.

it might be that you live in a place where adequate ventilation may be an issue. try to learn using regular white glue to make tissue foil.

i'm embarrassed to admit that i held off making double tissue for as long as i did, too. once you get the hang of it, it's far superior to japanese foil, and your models will get a much needed splash of color, which will again, make a huge difference.

failing both of those options, don't be ashamed to flat out paint/glue/wire your models to improve the appearance. i was going through seth friedman's youtube channel--the final steps of his flying cardinal has him slathering the layers with glue.

lastly, take better pictures. i recently invested in a light box--you shouldn't have to resort to the same, but i have to say, the right set up makes a big difference in how your models look. there are threads with recommendations.

once your flickr gallery is more attractive, i think you will gain more "followers."
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Another tip might be to give away some free diagrams. When people are able to fold a model or two they are more inclined too eventually pay because they know they will fold something good.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I second what bethnor said. Selfmade tissue foil and the right photo setup will highly improve the appearance of your models. They are really good, but many people won't appreciate them if they don't look outstanding on pictures. The ones where you took at least an evenly black background look better on a first sight then the ones with crowded backgrounds. It is because the attention is centred on the model. Ideally you should use a bent paper as background and additional lights to make your model stand out. Look here what I mean: http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10415

Submitting diagrams to convention books is easy, just make sure they look professional. Most Origami societies will gladly receive your models for publication and even provide you with a free copy of their compilation. On the Origami Mailing List there are often calls for submission. The various Origami societies also usually post the requirements for submissions (e.g. deadline) on their convention page.

Probably it also helps getting your name out there if you have a professional looking homepage.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I'd also add that you should go out there. Attend origami clubs/conventions: prepare an exhibit, learn new techniques, make some friends, expand your social network...
Froy

Post by Froy »

You should start doing really, really crazy stuff. Just take a look to the things the guys in Vietnam are doing, I think even Kamiya is getting behind.

Kota Imai latest bug and insect design are completely crazy!

I think some Korean authors are booming too.

Start bringing new stuff to origami, complexity is good but, there is much of that already. See what other ppl is doing and try to do something different.
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Hank -> Can hand-drawn diagrams still look professional as long as they're good quality? I don't have Inkscape, so I can't draw digital diagrams for even the few models of mine that have sequences.
I've also taught at conventions before (namely Centerfold), so I at least have a little experience there.

Bethnor -> Yeah, people have been telling me that for a while now. Once I get time, I'll experiment with different kinds of paper, such as MCd unryu and Shadowfold. As far as the pictures, I think that's honestly a matter of impatience. I like to post models as soon as I finish them, so I'm usually too impatient to set up a nice background.

Roodborst -> I'll have to try that. The trouble is finding sequences for my models that don't take forever to draw. xD

Anna -> Thanks. My response to Bethnor also applies to you.

Sunburst -> Good idea. I have a couple friends in the origami community, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have more.

Froy -> Yeah, that would be pretty fun. I have an idea for an insane tessellation that I'll have to try out, and my brother gave me an idea for another insane model.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Baltorigamist wrote:I don't have Inkscape, so I can't draw digital diagrams
And what exactly hinders you to install it? It is a free program, just download and install it.
Baltorigamist wrote:I'm usually too impatient to set up a nice background.
That's a bad excuse too. Build yourself a photography box (see the link in my post above) by taking a cardboard box, cutting holes in the side, glueing some transparent paper over the holes and attaching a background paper. Whenever you need to take a picture just place the model inside the box, place it next to a lamp and take your picture. That takes no more time than if you take your photo just somewhere. Or if the box sounds like too much work just take a piece of paper as background.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Patience and taking the time to produce the highest quality will encourage people to have respect for your work, b/c You have respect for your audience. Quality pictures, diagrams, and photographs are a must for a serious artist.

However, if you create draftsman-quality or clean and clear stylistic hand-drawn diagrams with straight lines, printed wording, and good perspective, then they can show quality.

Clear, foldable sequences in diagrams is important, when you're starting out. And, they are hard. But, there's nothing wrong with collaborating with the few folks who love to create diagrams and do it well. However, not all established designers are known for their clear/complete diagrams. Creating a good sequence and then drawing it, is a tedious art itself, separate from designing. Designers who do good diagrams are respected more, and are sought out!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

another point is, you don't have to spend lots of money on expensive papers. tissue foil, well-photographed, will sell a lot of your models. most of nicolas gajardo's models are made from tissue foil--if you examine the pics in his gallery very carefully, you can make out the glitter of the foil underneath. double tissue is also dirt cheap (though admittedly, this doesn't factor in the time required to make it).
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Anna -> I did once, and I couldn't figure out how to use it after about half an hour. I realize things take time, but I feel like it shouldn't be too difficult to use, especially if a lot of others use it so frequently. And I'll remember to use better backgrounds from now on.

Hank -> I've thought about this option in the past--getting someone else to diagram for me. But it's hard to find someone willing, at least on here. I'll probably stick with drawing them by hand for now, maybe graduating to Inkscape in a while.

Bethnor -> I've been using foil simply because it's cheap, and because it doesn't take any preparation besides a relatively dry environment. So I see your point about tissue foil. At some point, I'll try to make some and see how it works for me.

All this talk thus far has been about how to improve my representational models. But are there ways to improve my tessellations?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

There's a pretty good Inkscape tutorial about drawing diagrams by Jo Nakashima. Maybe you could watch it and then give it another try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbijRcl ... 71FABCF06C (Playlist including all 5 parts)
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

origami_8 wrote:That's a bad excuse too. Build yourself a photography box (see the link in my post above) by taking a cardboard box, cutting holes in the side, glueing some transparent paper over the holes and attaching a background paper. Whenever you need to take a picture just place the model inside the box, place it next to a lamp and take your picture. That takes no more time than if you take your photo just somewhere. Or if the box sounds like too much work just take a piece of paper as background.
About this, how do you avoid the shadow from the lamp light?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

HankSimon wrote:Patience and taking the time to produce the highest quality will encourage people to have respect for your work, b/c You have respect for your audience. Quality pictures, diagrams, and photographs are a must for a serious artist
Sorry for posting twice instead of making a single post but the tablet I'm using didn't cooperate.

Thanks Hank for mentioning this, it speaks to me very loud and clear since I'm guilty of rushing my photos for the same reason as Baltorigamist. I'll have it in mind from now on.