Oripa Development

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
LeoSuggate

Oripa Development

Post by LeoSuggate »

Hi All,

First post on this forum, I figured I should let you guys know that I am working on developing and updated version of ORIPA :)

Not adding many new features so far, just some simple new ways to draw lines etc.

I'll upload the update once I've added a few features on this forum.

Let me know if you have any ideas for ORIPA, I'm happy to try and implement them :)

Cheers,

Leo
Brimstone
Buddha

Re: Oripa Development

Post by Brimstone »

Oripa definitively needs a debugging mode of some kind. Many times you get erros and you can't find the problem and it happens to be some underlying creases you couldn't see.

An easy way to duplicate areas of the CP you already drew, would be nice.

Someone mentioned in another thread that you should be allowed to tell oripa the order of layers since the result could be so different depending on it.

If I can think of more I'll let you know
LeoSuggate

Post by LeoSuggate »

Yeah, I definitely agree about a debugging mode. It'd be quite a lot of work to add this seeing as I only started to figure out the way it was written a few days ago, but I'll email Mitani and see what he says.

As for a duplication tool, It looks like it was started, but never finished, so it shouldn't be much work to add that in. I'll see what I can do.

The idea of ordering the layers is a very good one. I think this is one of the biggest problems Oripa, interesting idea. What would be the best way to order them? i.e. numbering each 'polygon' (every space a crease incloses, I don't mean the type of polygons used in drafting crease patterns), or another way?

EDIT: :oops: I just realised there already was a copy and paste feature in Oripa... Is this what you wanted (It's under the edit menu) or did you have a different idea in mind?
Last edited by LeoSuggate on April 12th, 2015, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It would be nice if you could use the "two points on a line" feature without having it go all the way across the square. It would really help when you have pleats that meet the edge on a diagonal, such as in a Pythagorean stretch.
Just a suggestion, though. I don't use it to virtually fold CPs, just to draw them.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
LeoSuggate

Post by LeoSuggate »

Baltorigamist wrote:It would be nice if you could use the "two points on a line" feature without having it go all the way across the square.
I know what you mean. So, the option would ask you to specify two end lines, and two points which the line passes through, correct?

Your idea also gave me another idea: if Oripa could input a molecule just at the click of a button, it would make it a lot easier to draw CPs and also draft them on Oripa. I'll see about adding these ideas.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

If you have too many creases, Oripa can't do the fold, even for repetitive Tesselations.

Also, once oripa "messes up" it's processing of a diagram, often you have to restart. It would be better if it could just be "recalculated" or something. Maybe this is due to the need for a debugging tool.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

Ability to copy parts of a cp from one file to another.

Ability to specify coordinates for endpoints of a line using irrational numbers. E.g (sqrt(2)/2,sqrt(2)/3+.246)

Ability to rescale selected lines by a specified factor. Alternatively, ability to add more paper to the edges.

Ability to view coordinates of a vertex and then adjust those coordinates (but keeping the vertex attached to the lines)

Ideas for debugging: ability to see which lines are attached to a selected vertex; ability to identify vertices within a specified distance fom one another; ability to find lines that are directly (or almost) on top of one another for part of their length; ability to identify lines that run close to a vertex, but don't connect with it.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

"Aux" lines are the same color as the underlying grid. That should be changed.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

Ability to export a high resolution image. Currently, you have to take a screen shot, so the resolution is limited by how much you can zoom in and still fit it on your screen. Also, it would be good to have the ability to have a transparent paper color when exporting the cp image.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

Ability to select a rectangular region and test fold the cp in that region as if the rest of the paper was cut away (without deleting the rest of the CP). This would help when debugging. It would also help when a model has some 3d elements that keep it from flat folding.

An irregular polygon region would be even better.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

Alternative template grids. (Such as a triangular grid)

Also, support for smaller grids, I think the current max is 64x64 or 128x128.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

Ability to "group" lines so that they can later be selected together. You would also need an "ungroup" function.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

For uniaxial models, the ability to use coloring or dashing or line weight to distinguish crease type. See "In structural coloring for uniaxial bases, at least 4 distinct types of lines are required: axial, gusset, ridge, and hinge (5, if one includes pseudohinges), ". Here: http://www.langorigami.com/art/creasepa ... ns_art.php

Also, support for curved folds....Just kidding.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Maybe it would help to have a way to make slanted grids (rotated by a given degree number or aspect ratio). I've never had to use those, but I've seen crease patterns based on tilted grids.

I second the triangle grid, by the way. Also, if it hasn't been said, I'd like an option for using a hexagon instead of a square. That, combined with the triangle grid, would be really useful for drawing tessellation CPs.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
RK - The_Creator

Post by RK - The_Creator »

A feature I'd love would be to be able to choose any image for the computer as background.

An idea would be that cp and background image are on different levels and you can select which one to view. So it is possible to only view the background or only the CP but also to draw the CP on top of the background-image.

This feature would be very usefull in oripa for example for handdrawn CPs which could then be directly transcribed.