Photography advice request

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Brimstone
Buddha

Photography advice request

Post by Brimstone »

Check these two pictures:

I can asure you than on the first one, on the model on the left, the edge of the up pointing arrow exactly coincides with the edge of the area that is beneath it and the bottom of the down pointing arrow exactly coincides with its edge.

And on the second one the tips of the pink star exactly coincide with the corners of the bottom hexagon.

So why is it that the pictures show both models so different from what they really are? Please give me some advice on how to improve this situations.
HankSimon
Buddha

Re: Photography advice request

Post by HankSimon »

I believe that these are common optical illusions .... I think you can find or are aware of the famous illusions with equal line segments but inward or outward pointing arrows, as well as the two equal curved line segments, but the top one looks longer than the bottom one...

In any case, I'm not sure of the purpose, so here are suggestions:
1. For both pictures, go back a step and fold the point (tip), back to the center, showing 4 squares in the first photo, and showing the pink hexagon in the second photo.
2. Exploit the optical illusion by cutting strips of black ribbon (or drawing thick lines), and place the ribbon strips around the border of the bottom hexagon, possibly making the star look smaller.

???

For the star, Draw a 'radius' line from the center to the tip, then at the perpendicular bisector fold line, draw a dotted line, then indicate that the two bisected lines are equal
Edg

Post by Edg »

Are you taking the photos from close up? Taking the shot from further away and zooming in ( not so easy for shots from above, I know) has rectified such perspective issues for me in the past.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

It is just prospective and camra positioning.

For the star the camra lense was just to the right a bit from the center, that is why the right most point on the star looks the longest. it looks like the points are longer than the hexagon because they were sticking up a bit from the modle, and your camra was quite close to the modle. If you had taken the picture from ferther away it would fix the problem

For the arrows It is the same thing your camra is positioned almosed exactly above the left eadge of the right arrow moddle, that is why that side looks straight while the other sides do not. the flaps are bent up a bit, and you took the picture with your camra close to the modles. again try taking it from ferther away next time

OG
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
Froy

Post by Froy »

I took a look at the technical data of your photo on your Flickr page.

Your problem seems to be the focal length (photos with a focal length less than 35mm will look distorted) . Don't use extreme close up's. Don't zoom in also (this can cause motion blur if light is not enough for a high shooter speed).

Use day light out doors under the shadow of a building or a tree, This will allow you to use very high shooter speeds even when zooming in and the picture will have a uniform lighting.

Take the picture with the highest resolution available and crop it.
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

thanks a lot guys for the advice. Apparently you concur that the source is because I took the pictures from too close a distance, which I did in fact.

So next time I'll avoid the macro and maybe edit the picture (cut away the surroundings) digitally.