Is a bigger paper makes the folding easier?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
sagybp

Is a bigger paper makes the folding easier?

Post by sagybp »

Hi guys,

I'm a really new Origami folder.
Started doing it 2 weeks ago and folded some really nice stuff. In facet, I think I;m falling in love with this hobby ;)

For now I have only 15X15cm papers which I bought online.
I tried to make some complex models I found online (a unicorn and a penguine) and at some point I gave up.
The sinks were really hard for me, but I don't give up that easily.

I was wondering if it'll be easier to try more complex models with bigger paper (maybe 20x20?).

Would love to hear your suggestions/tips or anything else you have to say.

Sagi.
Baltorigamist

Re: Is a bigger paper makes the folding easier?

Post by Baltorigamist »

Larger paper will always make a model easier to fold, but only to a point (ie a 30cm square will be a lot easier than a 200cm square.
I'd recommend using anywhere from 20-50cm depending on the complexity of the models in question.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Balt's correct, its basically impractical to go bigger than 50cm unless you are doing some insanely complex model with scales or something. A lot of times, with bigger paper, the model won't be able to support its own weight if it wasn't meant to be made with a huge sheet. Once you get a bit more experienced, you'll be able to judge how big a sheet you need to use before you even start folding. Precreasing big sheets is more of a pain in the rear than with small sheets, though.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

Yes. it is easy with a bigger paper.

When i started i made the mistake to fold with 10cmx10cm because in my country they sold square of color paper in these dimensions.

Doing models with few details you can get a great result with 20cmx20cm normal print paper. Figures with too much details (insects) require special origami paper 35 cm and more.

Now i am old and i can recomend you a book "creating origami" J.C. Nolan to start. The book is funny and autor advice you dimentions of paper and if the model is easy or hard.
l0lm4tt

Post by l0lm4tt »

One time I made the mistake of folding Shuki Kato's Western Dragon with a 90x90cm sheet of kraft paper. The head just couldn't stay up at all. So I folded it again with a sheet of kraft paper around 50x50cm in size. Results were a lot better.
Check out my flickr page
Froy

Post by Froy »

Yes and no.

This is relative to each model and type of paper. You must try each model you want to fold with at less 2 kinds of paper. You need to find what you think more comfortable to work with.

Author's suggested paper and size for a certain model is just a suggestion.

For example: Satoshi Kamiya Ancient Dragon. The recommended size of sheet of paper is 50x50 cm. It is a bit small. At that size the head is very hard to do nicely on just one or 2 attempts. Kamiya used a 120x120 cm square.
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
l0lm4tt

Post by l0lm4tt »

And if you're folding the Ryuzin (whether 2.1 or 3.5) then there is no upper size limit
Check out my flickr page
Scoopey

Post by Scoopey »

Just for the the ridiculous size, how about 6ft square paper....
And I'm not joking here!

In Michael LaFosse's book "Origami Art: 15 Exquisite Folded Paper Designs from the Origamido Studio" that size of paper is recommended for folding his American Alligator.

Think I might give that one a miss!!!