Packed Engagement Ring HELP!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
FoldOn

Packed Engagement Ring HELP!

Post by FoldOn »

Greetings,

I am new to this forum and looking for help with a project I'm planning to work on. I'd like to build one of these ring boxes for my girlfriend (soon to be fiance). I'm fairly certain the inner portion is an origami flower of some sort but I haven't been able to track it down.

There was a writeup done on this box at one point but it's missing the step by step and the pictures do not show much detail.

http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2011/6/1 ... -ring.html

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Packed Engagement Ring HELP!

Post by roodborst »

Great idea! First of best wishes for the both of you.
After watching it a couple of times, it does not look like origami. It looks like a case that holds business cards and when you open it the cards should come out but they put a ring in it instead. Now your idea is way better. Maybe you can find a popup action model of a rose or a heart, that might work.
Last edited by roodborst on April 22nd, 2015, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

.... missed the link. So it is folded from paper.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I should not have reacted before reading everything.
So there is not a tutorial on the website. They show the creative process. Different types of roses, different types of popup mechanics. Different types of holders. From what I can make out you need 2 thin pieces of wood creditcard size. On top of that you glue cardboard with a space cut out for the ring. You make popup mechanisme to fit in the middle. Then you use some nice paper to use as cover. The hard part here is the action/pop up mechanisme in the middle. Maybe you can find some action model instruction on youtube?
FoldOn

Post by FoldOn »

roodborst wrote:I should not have reacted before reading everything.
So there is not a tutorial on the website. They show the creative process. Different types of roses, different types of popup mechanics. Different types of holders. From what I can make out you need 2 thin pieces of wood creditcard size. On top of that you glue cardboard with a space cut out for the ring. You make popup mechanisme to fit in the middle. Then you use some nice paper to use as cover. The hard part here is the action/pop up mechanisme in the middle. Maybe you can find some action model instruction on youtube?

Thank you. I've been scouring the internet for anything better than what I posted above but I'm coming up short. The box is simple to build. I'm hoping someone here will recognize the middle "popup" portion's construction method.