Is 3D is origami?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
idooi

Is 3D is origami?

Post by idooi »

I don't know about you, but I think that 3D origami is just for unprofessionals. It's not even origami for kids. Real origami is made from one sheet of paper. I just hate when people do that and think that they are professional. What do you think?
The worst mistake you can do

is to be afraid to make a mistake
myself

Re: Is 3D is origami?

Post by myself »

Well, it isn't really origami, so I think it shouldn't be labeled as origami. Other than that, it is art and calling it unprofessional seems a bit harsh to me. If some people would rather fold the same unit hundreds of times and assemble it to make something beautiful than hold on to the rules of origami, I'd say let them. It's not that appealing to me, but it's still art and some people do enjoy making and/or looking at these kinds of models.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm guessing that by "3D origami" you mean the modulars made from the traditional Chinese unit.
Not that it's "unprofessional" or "not art," but I've never found those models appealing at all. Granted, there's an art to assembling the different colors, but it's not for me. Personally, I'll stick to purist folding.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

If repeating the same thing over and over again is not art then making scales on a dragon or tesselations are neither art or origami. However I do agree that it fits better in the papercraft catagory then in the origami.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I'll reserve my opinion about it but what I'm going to say is that I am really opposed to giving it the name 3D Origami.

There are wonderful origami models that are not flat, hence they are tridimensional, those are REAl 3D origami, even a traditional masu box is tridimensional, so calling this 3D origami is missleading.
Froy

Post by Froy »

As long it is folded paper it will be origami, the one square no cuts is a modern rule. The figures you call 3D origami made of small triangle units is just modular origami.
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

In my opinion it IS origami; it's also called golden venture and Chinese modular origami. I personally don't like it but that's just me :).

Cheers!
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom