Mixing box pleating with circle packing. Hex pleating altern

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Kundalini

Mixing box pleating with circle packing. Hex pleating altern

Post by Kundalini »

Hi
I was designing again but i do not find a beautiful result. Neither box pleating nor circle packing are doing an elegant result.

i am seeking to insert a bird a base in the center of the paper box pleated. The shape in bird base is perfect because of 30 degrees.

Is it possible to mix both techniques?.

If not, Should i try to fold in hex pleating?
Baltorigamist

Re: Mixing box pleating with circle packing. Hex pleating al

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm a little confused by what you're asking.
Yes, it is possible to combine circle packing with box-pleating, but it's not as easy as it sounds.
Also, the standard bird base uses 22.5deg angles, not 30. Maybe this is where you're having problems?

Pictures would definitely help in this situation as well.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

My words are confusing because my mind is confused. Hahahahaha.

I only want to know more about mixing bp and cp. I am trying to create a curve specifically a woman hip, where box pleating do the job but it is not enought organic for me.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

As I said, it's possible, but I'm not very experienced with it. It would help to see how you're trying to lay out the model's structure as well. If you only want a small part of the model to be circle-packed, it might be best to stick with 22.5deg angles.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

not entirely sure why you think circle-packing is going to give you any advantage in shaping. in any case, the boxpleated and non-boxpleated sections would have to be laid out in such a way that they don't affect each other, as boxpleating is inherently grid-based and circle packing isn't. if any of the pleats run into your circle-packed section, you'll have to sink that section accordingly, which will completely defeat the use of a circle-packed section in the first place, and if all the reference points lay on a grid to begin with, then circle packing as a technique won't give you an edge anyway.

I've had great success with using boxpleating to achieve round natural shapes by pulling out the pleats. if that is not giving you the effect you're looking for, you might be better off ditching boxpleating altogether in favour of a more traditional 22.5 degree structure as suggested, or a completely circle-packed design.

that being said, this is very hard to talk about without any visual reference in regasrds of what you're working with (for example a picture of the boxpleated version which you wish to improve upon. I've realized time and time again that one does not have to change the structure of a model at all to make it look considerably better, finding a new way to shape an existing base structure oftenly does the trick.

Edit:
Looking at your original comment, note that the traditional bird base uses a 22.5°structure, not a single 30° angle to be found in that base, actually.

That aside, if you leave a border graft around a bird base placed in the middle of the square, it is fairly easy to combine boxpleating with a traditional base in this way, although I fail to see the point of doing that. it will essentially put spindly extensions on the tips of the four corner flaps of the base and make the short center flap look proportionally shorter in comparison with the overall structure, not entirely sure why you'd think that is going to be a good thing for shaping, but like I said, it is very hard to give a proper advice without having an actual visual reference.
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

When you fold bird base the perimeter is a woman hip for me. Then i should fold the whole figure in circle packing

But i have a completed design of a woman in bp but i don t like it. I will try to improve the box pleating design until i earn more experience

Mixing is hard and maybe is not path of the truth hahaha.

Changing the techniques (box pleating, hex pleating, circule packing) get you a diferent final shape?

Only affect efficience in use of the paper?
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

Kundalini wrote:Changing the techniques (box pleating, hex pleating, circule packing) get you a diferent final shape? Only affect efficience in use of the paper?
using different techbiques definitely affects what the resulting shape looks like and what you can do with it. there is no single right way to do anything in origami, so I really can't steer you in the 'right' direction even though I'd like to help. To me most of the fun comes from experimenting and playing around with paper, and sometimnes it's the only way how I can come up with something. Even though I can pre-engineer a model by laying out a crease pattern first, that is not always what ends up working out in the end.

I say have fun folding and don't be afraid to experiment. The experience you get from that is going to be much more valuable than anything I can tell you.
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

This is the model i am talking about, it was my second origami design. I am trying to improve the model. I think the head and the hip are not ready and a river in bp can help to create a stomach, but maybe she gain weight and look fat. I want she look healthy and sexy.

It's hard to do a girl because my mind intend to exagerate some body parts.

ImageEva v1.0 by Kundalini Zero, en Flickr
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

I actually think this is bloody amazing as it is, especially if it's your second design ever, good job! It's very hard for me to suggest anything to improve it, this will have to be up to you to figure out. you will get there eventually, but you are off for a fantastic start already, I must admit I am seriously very impressed with the model.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I feel like the body could be a bit longer, but otherwise I agree with Petr. This is a really good design, and I can't think of much to improve it.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
OrigamiSwan

Post by OrigamiSwan »

It would help if you could upload a CP so we can see what is going on structure-wise, but still I have to agree with Pete and Baltorigamist. My second origami design didn't look nearly as good as this! :D