Compound Origami Yes or No?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Scoopey

Compound Origami Yes or No?

Post by Scoopey »

Hello there,
Thought I'd start a little controversy again. Having seen the views on Modular Origami what are peoples views on Compound Models, i.e. those created with more than one piece of paper.
Recently this thought came to me when I was trying to create an Origami Akira Class starship (from Star Trek BTW).
No matter which was I approached it I could not generate two flaps three times the length of the rest of the model without a ridiculous (or even impractical) amount of box pleating so I figured as most models of the Enterprise use two pieces of paper I would do that...

That's when I got to thinking what other Origami fans thought of Compound models. I know the purists would have a fit but thinking about it in general flower typically have leaves which are separate models and lots of dollar folds use more than one dollar.

When it boils down to it I think the actual question could be,
Would you ignore a nice model because it uses two (or more) pieces of paper or would you alternately fold a butt ugly model knowing a more elegant approach could be done with two piece of paper?

P.S. I just acquired a book on my Kindle featuring several Origami artists folding aircraft and all but one uses two pieces of paper and a few even use three.
HankSimon
Buddha

Re: Compound Origami Yes or No?

Post by HankSimon »

I don't design, but in the past, some designers would create beautiful models using multiple sheets or odd shapes. Then, some of those models would be redesigned using various methods which are now described in Origami Design Secrets.

My suggestion is to design a beautiful, artful sculpture using multiple sheets. Spend some time tweaking the proportions and design details. Post it for comments. Then, go back and redesign it using flaps, etc., from one sheet of paper ... from what you learned through intense tweaking. I think it is much more fulfilling to create and carefully fold (and photograph) a beautiful work of art. I think the achievement will help you learn the techniques to push through the "frustration" of adding on more constraints of using a single sheet, and using a single square sheet.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It depends what you mean by "ignore", IMO.
Halle is an example of a great compund model designer. I might never fold any of his models due to the specific paper constraints, but I still recognize his talent. I've tried making modulars myself (which I know are somwhat different from compound models), and it's not as easy as it sounds to get two sheets to hold together by friction alone. So while I don't fold compound models, I recognize them as a form of origami--albeit not purist.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I remember this kid at OUSA convention talking about Beth Johnson's sheep, saying it was a really cool model and he had wanted to participate in her class to fold it. When he learned it was two pieces, he said: «oh, I like it way less now.»

Folding from a single sheet is definitely more impressive than multiple ones (if we're not talking about modular stuff). However, there are cases where, as you mentioned, folding from one sheet results in an ugly bulk of paper hidden in the model. Suppose you'd take Beth's sheep and made it from a single piece. It would result in a huge waste of paper just to graft the wool on the body. Would it be impressive? definitely. Elegant? heck no! In this case, using two sheets puts balance between those two elements.

In the end, I would suggest aiming for one sheet before two or more, but definitely keep that option open.

And to reply to your main question, don't think like that kid mentioned above!
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

multiple sheet models are definitely fine by me, if they are presented as such. if the creator admits more than one sheet is used, then I don't have a problem with that and don't see why anyone should. In fact, there are many compound models which I really do admire, namely numerous dragons by Joseph Wu, Modular xenomorph and godzilla by kade chan and the various dinosaur skeletons that exist. these all are fantastic creations and their modularity doesn't take anything away from my admiration for these authors and their work, nor do I feel the modularity of these models makes them less "true" to the original spirit of origami. What I really don't like is cutting the model while folding. :)
Scoopey

Post by Scoopey »

I agree with the no cutting!
My personal take (when I set the question in the first place) is compound Origami is OK so long as the links between pieces hold themselves. I have come across several designs where two pieces "have" to be glued together which I do not like.
I'm also inclined to look at models that use the same size square/rectangle/triangle for both or all parts but having said that there are some nice designs which do feature a mismatch of shapes and sizes.
I guess its all down to how "pure" do you want to be and I do prefer elegance over complexity.
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

I am origami purist and i am still new in design (only two figures). I dislike join two or more sheet to make a model.

For me it s more beautiful to do a hard model with only one square sheet of paper. It is because i love difficult stuff or maybe because i like how advances in mathematics resolved past art problems.

When i learned origami 15 years ago it was from a book that do compound origami to generate some figures and also she made a pinguin with a triangle. For a lot of years i couldn t get a book better. I have never felt confortable with that.

For me, compound origami is like to cheat. In my opinion it is easier to stick to sheet for a tiger than do 4 leg with a unique sheet.

Advances in math and a lot of humankind hardworking produce the solution years ago and now if someone do a tiger with two sheets nobody see the final form like something valuable because it has less hard work.

BUT like other art if origami were an art, people innovate but for me it is not an improvement. For me it is better to fold a rectangle than a compound origami. And an excelent solution to create a new technique than solve the problem with a square.