Modifying Existing Design

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
paladinNJ

Modifying Existing Design

Post by paladinNJ »

Not sure if I have the right forum but here goes. I folded Neal Elias Last Waltz about two years ago. Its sitting on shelf in my office. I came home to find my wife looking at it like she's never seen it before. She tells me that if I put a baby Jesus it would make a good Nativity Scene (probably the season gave her the idea). I have Robert Lang Origami Design Secrets which talks about adding paper into a model but don't know if I could design it. Anybody else think she's onto something here?
marckrsh

Re: Modifying Existing Design

Post by marckrsh »

This sounds like a good excuse to get your feet wet with a design challenge. In the world of box pleating, starting with a longer rectangle to insert another cluster of appendages is quite acceptable. If you are even more adventurous, you might see an opportunity to come up with something from scratch. Using the grafting technique you alluded to is great for augmenting existing appendages (i.e., adding fingers to an existing flap), but I have personally found that major structural changes demand starting from scratch. Good luck!
Andre-4

Re: Modifying Existing Design

Post by Andre-4 »

this IS exactly what Im planning To do as a square IS neither appropriate or the feeling i get from the paper...Eric Joisel had a Good head space In that many OF his designs started From a triangle Or rectangle....