Questions about Lionel Albertino's, book, livre safari

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Mycelium

Questions about Lionel Albertino's, book, livre safari

Post by Mycelium »

There's something I'm a bit confused about: to the right of each model, there's a table which has sizes for the 'format' and 'termine' of the model, along with the weight of the paper. Is the purpose of this table to demonstrate the whole number ratio of the size of the square to the final size of the model, or is 'format' the recommended size of the paper that should be used?
I ask because there's more information about paper used for each model at the bottom of the pdf, and it doesn't seem to be in agreement with the tables shown previously.
If anyone could explain how this information should be used I'd be very grateful, I have no way of easily translating it!
Thanks in advance.
Kabuntan

Re: Questions about Lionel Albertino's book, Safari Origami

Post by Kabuntan »

The numbers at the right of each model are just advice (and, indeed, to show the size ratio square / model): that's what you should use to get a nice result - maybe think of it as a "minimum requirement"? Of course, this really depends on each folder and their own style.

About the end of the book, here is a quick translation after a quotation:
Safari wrote:Trouver un beau papier pour un modèle est bien souvent un choix cornélien. Il y a la couleur, la texture, les dimensions, l’épaisseur, sa capacité à supporter les plis sans se déchirer...
Parfois c’est le coup de foudre. On trouve un papier en farfouillant et on imagine le modèle qui sommeille dedans. Mais le plus souvent c’est le vrai casse-tête. Pour vous éviter cela, voici une sélection de papier testé pour la réalisation des pliages du Safari.
Quick'n'poor translation wrote:To find a pretty paper for a model is quite often a hard choice. There is colour, texture, dimensions, thickness, ability to endure creases without tearing...
Sometime, it's love at first sight. We find a paper while rummaging around, and we picture the model sleeping within. But, more often, it's a real puzzle. To help you, here is a selection of papers tested to fold pieces from Safari.
So, as I understand it:
- at the right of each model are data useful for the first time(s) you fold it;
- at the end of the book is what the author tried and suggests (he knows this is fitting).

(Moreover, the papers suggested at the end of the book have rectangle, direct-from-your-source, format. You'll need to cut it square to the wanted dimensions).

Sorry for the long ranting, hopefully it will help you a bit...
Mycelium

Re: Questions about Lionel Albertino's book, Safari Origami

Post by Mycelium »

No, this isn't a rant, you've really cleared it up for me and told me what I need to know. Thank you very much!
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Questions about Lionel Albertino's, book, livre safari

Post by roodborst »

It might also have something to do with a picture at the end of the book. It shows the different sizes of the animals in a sort of diagram. Maybe if you use the recommended paper sizes you end up with all the models in the same proportions? So not a small 8cm rhino next to 20cm lioness. I'm not sure though!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk