Guidelines for doing an origami exhibit

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
ginshun

Guidelines for doing an origami exhibit

Post by ginshun »

So this summer I am going to be putting on an origami exhibition at our local public library. They have local artists and collectors display their stuff there regularly. The exhibit will be in glass cases, so everything will be protected. I plan on having 30 or so models on display. The pieces will be mostly things designed by others, with a few of my own thrown in as well. I am going to do a description of each, and was wondering what we're everyone's thoughts on including crease patterns of models from other designers, specifically ones that are not, technically available for free online, but for which I have purchased the books. Things like Kamiya's or Lang's models. I think it would be a cool thing going to include, and obviously credit would be given to the author, but I was wondering if this is legit?

Any general tips appreciated as well.
Last edited by ginshun on February 22nd, 2017, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tankoda

Re: Guidelines for doing an origami exibit

Post by Tankoda »

I will be doing a similar thing, myself, so any advice from anyone about all of the aspects of this would be appreciated (how to display them, how many models, sizes, models by other designers, etc...)

As to your question, I would refrain from displaying the CPs of other designers' models.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

My thoughts on it were that it would be OK to show the CP as long as it was available for free on the internet.
I can go to Kamiya's site and look at the CP if I want to and print it out or whatever, and so can anybody else. Why would it be wrong to show it at a free public display like this as long as credit is given to him for it?
Copying the full diagrams and handing them out at the exhibit I can see being wrong, as you can't legally get those without buying the book, but what is the difference with the CP that he gives out for free anyway?
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

I was talking about the CPs that aren't available online for free. I am not sure about the ones that are
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

ginshun wrote:... specifically ones that are not, technically available for free online, but for which I have purchased the books. Things like Kamiya's or Lang's models. I think it would be a cool thing going to include, and obviously credit would be given to the author...
It seems someone deleted a message because it doesn't make sense. What you said here is not legal.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Kamiya and Lang are bad examples maybe as they post the majority of their CPs online.
Something like the VOG books or Quentin Tollip are better to ask the question about. To my knowledge, the CPs in Origami Sequence or VOG 2 are only available in the books or illegally. Those CPs I would think should not be displayed. If the CP is free online though, I don't see why it would not be OK to include in a description that accompanied the model.
al-black

Post by al-black »

And of course you could just ask the designers for their permission to to display their CP's. The worst case is they say no, and you display their model without the CP. Best case scenerio is they say yes, and you can convey your respect for their work to them directly.

Just another opinion, just guessing the audience the models, folds, and your description will be more important than presence or absence of a CP.

All the best with the exhibition!

al
ginshun

Re: Guidelines for doing an origami exhibit

Post by ginshun »

Of course you are correct, and I do plan on contacting the ones that I can. You are also correct in that a typical non-origami person really couldn't care less whether or not the CP is included in the description. I just think it is a cool visual.

It's really more curiosity than anything. The chances of anybody actually getting in legal trouble based on a small town library exhibit in Northern WI is virtually nil, regardless of what I include. I do value peoples opinions here though.
steingar

Post by steingar »

First, less is more. When confronted with tons of subjects humans see a group, not individual pieces. 30 pieces in a display sounds like a lot unless the space available is truly expansive.

Second, vis-a-vis crease patterns, I would only include them if (1) I had written permission from their creators (reproducing protected works is clearly covered in copyright statutes) and (2) if it actually made the exhibit look better. I've yet to see one where I thought the crease patterns made anything look better, and they really don't speak at all to non folders, who presumably are the ones who are going to examine the display in question.

Third, models should be appropriate for the space. Huge models in a small space look crowded. Miniatures in a big space get lost.

Fourth, time to break out your absolute best paper and technique. You of course want to impress your audience.

Fifth, think about what will be around and underneath your models. Your display isn't only Origami pieces, its what they're on and what they're in front of. You may also think about playing into the lighting in the display cases you'll be filling.

And lastly, do post up some photos of the finished thing. Good luck and have fun. Good job promoting Origami!
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Thanks for the tips!

There are basically about a dozen glass cases that they have available to display things. Looking at them, I would think that they will have between 2 and 4 models each, each with a little description - title, designer, paper and paper size, ect. I was looking around my house, and I probably have 20 or 30 just sitting around that would be fine to display. I fold mainly with double unryu anytime that I do anything that I think will be worth keeping, so the ones that turn out good are all OK for display. Most of the stuff in my gallery or on my Flicker are available for display, plus I plan on folding some other complex models this summer - the exhibit is not until July.

I will for sure take some pics and share!
al-black

Post by al-black »

That'd be great to share some pics! Have fun with it!

al
steingar

Post by steingar »

ginshun wrote:Thanks for the tips!

There are basically about a dozen glass cases that they have available to display things. Looking at them, I would think that they will have between 2 and 4 models each, each with a little description - title, designer, paper and paper size, ect.
Designer and title sound good. I doubt anyone really cares what kind of paper you use, were it me I'd have a sign at the end specifying that. How big are the cases relative to your models?
ginshun wrote:I will for sure take some pics and share!
You'd better. :-x
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

There are different sized cases, but the smallest ones are maybe 18" square or there abouts. Then there is a larger hexagon one, one that is sort of like a book self with the front blocked off, one that is taller with 4 levels. It was kind of a random bunch of cases. There are boards that people displaying paintings or photographs use as well. I have a couple of framed prices that I will likely hang on those.

Kind of paper is probably beyond non-origami people, but I think the size used to fold the individual models is useful info. I may put together some info on the process of getting the paper ready to fold. Tell them about the kinds of paper, MC, ect. Maybe do some type of display on this in ne of the cases. Haven't decided yet.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

ginshun wrote:but I think the size used to fold the individual models is useful info.
You can put your models on a sheet of paper the size you used to fold them.
Then, the ratio is easily understood.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Kabuntan wrote: You can put your models on a sheet of paper the size you used to fold them.
Then, the ratio is easily understood.
Great idea!