Heavy application of MC

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Cadix

Heavy application of MC

Post by Cadix »

First, forgive me if this has been covered before, I wasn't sure how to search for a duplicate of this post in particular.

I'm experimenting with applying relatively thick layers of MC to thin paper. I've brushed the MC on the front. I've brushed MC onto my sheet of Lexan and laid the paper on that. And I've MCed the back of the paper, flipped it over, wet the paper and placed another sheet on top.

So far my results have been mixed. One crane I folded is more glue than paper by a moderate amount, so I lost the benefit of the paper being thin. But if I do a thinner coat of MC I get paper that is still fairly thin, but holds creases better than either the plain paper or paper treated with less MC. I did run into one problem. The side of the paper with the MC on it tended to stick to itself. I found that by rubbing the that side with a dry paper towel a bit, the problem went mostly away. I do wonder if that's from the MC being removed by the paper towel or the paper towel changing the surface of the MC.

In the end, I wonder if I wouldn't be better off with a paper that matches the MCed paper in thickness but that doesn't have an MC layer.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

-- Tyler
EVERYTHING MUST BE MADE OF PAPER!